Healthy Lockdown Snacks

With lockdown 3.0 well underway, I’ve found myself constantly munching away on snacks out of pure boredom. If you’re like me, and don’t have the patience nor the stamina to wait between meals, here are a few healthy alternatives to bide your time with.

By Phoebe Altman, Second Year, English and Classics

The Croft Magazine // With lockdown 3.0 well underway, I’ve found myself constantly munching away on snacks out of pure boredom. If you’re like me, and don’t have the patience nor the stamina to wait between meals, here are a few healthy alternatives to bide your time with.

1.     Apple or Banana with Peanut Butter:

Sprinkled with cinnamon (easy as that).

2.     Savoury Popcorn:

Pop your own kernels then mix with some salt, butter and paprika.

3. Smokey Roasted Chickpeas:

A great snack to munch on when you’re getting hungry for dinner at 4pm! You could also replace the paprika, oregano, chilli and pepper with 1tsp of cinnamon and 4tbsp of maple syrup for a sweet fix!

Ingredients:

400g tin chickpeas, drained

½ tsp smoked paprika

½ tsp dried oregano

Pinch of chilli flakes

Drizzle of olive oil

Salt and pepper

Method:

1.     Preheat the oven to 190C

2.     Rub the drained chickpeas in some kitchen towel or a clean tea towel and discard the outer skins which fall off

3.     Tip the chickpeas into a roasting tray and toss together with the smoked paprika, oregano, chilli flakes, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until evenly coated

4.     Pop in the oven for around 20 minutes until they’re looking golden-brown crunchy.

5.     Eat from a bowl fresh out of the oven, or store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.

A great snack to munch on when you’re getting hungry for dinner at 4pm! | Epigram / Phoebe Altman

4.     Chocolate N’Ice Cream:

This one is a real treat- a healthy twist on ice cream made with bananas to keep you fuller for longer whilst getting in your five-a-day!

Ingredients:

2 bananas, chopped and frozen (make extra for the future)

1tbsp hot chocolate powder

1tsp honey

Method:

1. Place the bananas in a blender until smooth and creamy, add the hot chocolate powder then the honey to taste and blend until combined!

2. Pour into a bowl and eat straight away- it melts quickly!

This one is a real treat- a healthy twist on ice cream made with bananas | Epigram / Phoebe Altman

5.     DIY trail mix:

Whether you’re watching a film or writing an essay, trail mix is a great snack for those of us who get bored easily. You could make a new batch of this every week and keep in a Tupperware to refill from each day. Here’s some inspiration to get you started on making your own, but the opportunities really are endless!

Nuts: Cashews, pistachios, pecans, peanuts, walnuts (ideally not salted, but roasting them at home can be a great way to add more flavour!)

Seeds: Pumpkin, sunflower, sesame

Dried Fruit: Raisins, cranberries, apricots, mango, apple, figs, cherries (ideally not sugared)

Fun Stuff: Popcorn, pretzels, chocolate chips, m&m’s, toasted oats, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salty crisps

Easy Soy Salmon

Easy Golden Gnocchi

Featured Image: Epigram / Phoebe Altman

Did you try this recipe? Let us know!