Easy Golden Gnocchi

Making gnocchi is much easier than it seems, and it only requires 3 ingredients: flour, potatoes and an egg.

By Maria Shevchenko, Fourth Year French & Italian

The Croft Magazine // Making gnocchi is much easier than it seems, and it only requires three ingredients: flour, potatoes and an egg.

This is a really fun, cheap, easy recipe to make with housemates on a frosty autumn evening. These gnocchi also freeze very well, so are perfect to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for when you’re feeling lazy and in the mood for carbs!

Ingredients:
1kg potatoes (find a variety that’s not too starchy or waxy)
400g plain flour
1 large egg
3 tbsp salted butter
3-4 stalks of fresh sage

Serves four

Method:
1. Boil potatoes until soft (around 15-20mins). Drain and then, once cooled, peel and mash.
2. Mix egg into mash and place mixture on to table/board.

Mix egg into mash and place mixture onto table/board | Epigram / Maria Shevchenko

3. Gradually add in flour and knead until it creates a dough and doesn’t stick to table.
4. Roll out dough into long sausage shape (around 1cm thickness) and then cut into 1-2cm pieces.

Cut into 1-2cm pieces | Epigram / Maria Shevchenko

5. Boil the gnocchi in a deep saucepan of salted water. The gnocchi are ready to drain when they float.
6. While draining the gnocchi, place your butter in a big pan with a few stalks of sage.
7. Let the butter melt and then throw in your boiled gnocchi. Move the heat to high and flash-fry gnocchi until slightly crispy and enticingly golden. Pour out into a bowl and season to taste.

While draining the gnocchi, place your butter in a big pan with a few stalks of sage | Epigram / Maria Shevchenko

Enjoy this recipe? Check out more ideas below.

Simple chicken and chorizo pasta recipe
Healthy chicken Pho recipe

Featured Image: Epigram / Maria Shevchenko

Did you give this recipe a try? Let us know.