FoodThe Croft2022Reviews

The Tiramisu Review: Bristol

Emma Witham's definitive guide for the best Tiramisu spots in Bristol

By Emma Witham, Food Sub-Editor, 3rd Year English Literature.

The Croft Magazine// Over the past three years, I have been on the hunt for Bristol’s best tiramisu. As my absolute favourite dessert, the coffee-based treat has become a slight obsession. It could solve any bad day, get me through any deadline or make any dining experience an instant hit. So, throughout my search, I have made an effort to opt for the independent suppliers of tiramisu, as I’m interested in the best of Bristol-based talent. With Bristol’s increasing number of Italian restaurants alone, the competition for the best tiramisu is a difficult one. Having searched long and hard, I present to you my definitive list of best tiramisus in the area.

Little Hollows Pasta, 26 Chandos Rd, Redland, Bristol BS6 6PF

Upon approaching this article, my first thought went straight to Little Hollows Pasta. Having recently won a Michelin award, the artisan pasta proprietors offer arguably some of the best pasta dishes in Bristol. They prepare all pasta on site, which you can view in some very aesthetically pleasing displays. The tiramisu, as can be assumed, really does not disappoint. It’s arguably on the boozier side, which is perfect if, like me, you like a little kick behind your coffee. My only complaint would be that it can be ever so slightly over-dusted, leaving your mouth feeling a slight chalky effect. Yet, the combinations in taste are more than worth it.

A post shared by Little Hollows (@littlehollowspasta)

Giuseppe’s - 59 Baldwin St, Bristol BS1 1QZ

If you’re looking to splurge a little more over your tiramisu options, Giuseppe’s may just be the one for you. Having ventured over specifically for their tiramisu, I was far from disappointed. Alike some of my other reviewed options, the tiramisu arrives fantastically presented, drizzled in a sticky chocolate sauce. It arrived in a rather unique shape too, not the usual squares which most of us have come to know, but a beautiful oval, demonstrating the consideration that is put in the appearance. However, being on the more expensive side, I would argue Giuseppe’s isn’t particularly student-budget friendly.

Tiramisu from Giuseppe's ⓒ Saiba Haque

The Spaghetti Incident - 36 Stokes Croft, St Paul's, Bristol BS1 3QD

Unassuming at first, the Stokes Croft spaghetti spot often gets missed by the student demographic – which I have since decided is nothing short of a crime. The food prepared in this little nook is easily some of the best I have had in Bristol. There’s a variety of pescatarian pasta dishes, perfectly crispy arancini and focaccia that I still dream of, yet it’s the dessert that had me hooked. They offer what they playfully refer to as the ‘Tiramisu Factory’ – which provides an interesting list of options, ranging from the classic coffee, to pistachio, to amaretto. This provides those extra little options for the non-coffee loving friends you may choose to bring along. Their tiramisu appears in little mason jars, adding a quirky and somewhat Bristolian touch to their serving. The only downfall may be that this seems to be the only variety of dessert that offer on-menu, so if you’re not a fan of the creamy dessert despite flavour or format I’d advise venturing elsewhere.

Molto Bu0no!59 - 59 Park St, Bristol BS1 5NU

Now a student staple, the Park Street restaurant is often booked solid. This would be on my go-to list for date nights, birthday dinners, and those long-awaited (or dreaded) parental visits. Why? The tiramisu. The perfectly balanced dessert, not over-dusted in cocoa powder, not over-soaked in coffee, you could not find it better. The location is optimal for those who are regularly close to campus. For the perfect true classic, this is by far my favourite choice.

A post shared by MOLTOBUONO!59 (@molto_buono59)

Featured Image by Saiba Haque

What's your Favourite Bristol Tiramisu Spot?