By Phoebe Altman, Third Year English and Classics

The Croft // Phoebe brings you the foodie tour of Bristol you've been waiting for. It's time to get out there and support the amazing independents all over the city!

There’s something about speaking to the person who got up at 3am to knead the dough of the loaf of bread you’re buying to make your Saturday morning breakfast with that just makes you feel good inside – call it the power of human connection. It’s so easy to detach the producer from the product when buying food in a supermarket and with Bristol hosting one of the best local food scenes in the country, it seems a waste of living here to pass on the opportunity to learn where your food has come from, directly from the person who made it. That’s what makes food markets so great; if you’re wanting a wholesome Saturday morning or an adventurous midweek lunch, head to one of Bristol’s food markets and strike up a conversation with the person behind the stall – I promise you’ll feel better for it.

St Nicholas Market | Epigram / Lou Craven

The All-Rounder: St Nicholas Markets

St Nicholas Street Food Market

When? Tuesdays and Fridays, 11am-2:30pm

Where? Wine Street

With around fifteen stalls to choose from including Eatchu, Toff’s Pasta, and the student favourite, Eat a Pita, you’ll struggle to choose just one.

St Nicholas Farmers’ and Producers’ Market

When? Wednesdays 9:30am-2:30pm

Where? Corn Street and Wine Street

This is your opportunity to buy local produce, such as meat, fish, cheese, fruit, and vegetables, directly from the producers so bring your tote bag and stock up!

The Community One: Whiteladies Road Farmers Market

When? Saturdays, 8:30am-1pm

Where? On the corner of Whiteladies Road and Apsley Road, by the bus stop

Organised by local people giving up their time to promote the market and help on the day, this market champions Bristol’s produce, supports local farmers and creates a regular community event that is focused on sustainability. Organic vegetables, cheeses, pastries from Farro Bakery and even bacon rolls for when you’re feeling a little delicate after your Friday night.

The Lunch One: Temple Quay Street Food Market

Ah-Ma's dumplings at Temple Quay Market | Epigram / Lou Craven

When? Thursdays, 12pm-2pm

Where? The Square, Temple Back East, close to Temple Meads Station

Located in the heart of the Temple Quay business quarter, Temple Quay market feeds the working lunch-rush every Thursday. With a different line-up each week, you can expect the best of Bristol’s street food scene with stalls ranging from mac and cheese to Chinese dumplings, from smashed burgers to vegan brownies. Make sure to follow them on Instagram (@templequaymarket) so you can keep an eye out for what’s being served up each week!

Featured Image: Epigram / Lou Craven

Where will you try first?