Pillow Talk Sex Column: House of mirrors

One of the greatest tips I have for sex is the introduction of mirrors. I came – literally – to this realisation when a past bedroom happened to have six mirror panels running alongside the bed. I soon realised the fun this allowed, and I don’t see myself quitting any time soon.

By Carrie Brizshaw, The Croft's Sex Columnist

The Croft Magazine // Mirror, mirror on the wall… what’s the hottest sex of all? One of the greatest tips I have for sex is the introduction of mirrors. I came – literally – to this realisation when a past bedroom happened to have six mirror panels running alongside the bed. I soon realised the fun this allowed, and I don’t see myself quitting any time soon.

Something that often puts people off using mirrors during sex is negative body image. My answer to that: get the porn-perfect picture out of your head. Sex is supposed to be messy and fun, we can’t always achieve the passion-fuelled thrusting and moaning portrayed in the media. It’s okay to let your sexual partner see all your imperfections. If they hold them against you they’re not the kind of person you want to be sleeping with. Mirror play can even help you get over insecurities and realise that they’re not a true reflection of who you are (haha). When you see first-hand how much you turn your partner on, it’s hard not to feel sexy (not that your self-worth should EVER be derived from someone else’s opinion of you).

One of the greatest tips I have for sex is the introduction of mirrors | The Croft / Epigram

So, let’s get down to the dirty details.

You don’t need to go out and buy a massive floor-to-ceiling mirror to make this work. It’s a good idea to use a detached mirror for range of movement. A full-length mirror that isn’t fixed to the wall is perfect and Argos sells them for just £10. I recommend placing the mirror alongside the bed so you can both get a sexy side angle view. This is position-dependent however and if you’re doing any form of doggy style you might want to face the mirror for a truly mind-blowing sight. This can be a great way to introduce eye contact to doggy, something many people find it can lack.

Carrie Recommends: 'Argos Home Full Length Frameless Wall Mirror' - £10.00 | Argos

If you don’t have a mobile mirror but have one fixed above a desk, don’t shy away from a seated position on a chair in front of it or even using the desk itself. This might not be something you do as often, but it can be a really nice change from your classic poses.

The other option for a mirror is going handheld. Most people are already a big fan of watching penetration up close and personal. It’s a highly favoured angle in porn (but again, let’s not see porn as representative of real life). Use a hand mirror to get into harder-to-see places and try to angle it so both partners can see.

Pillow Talk Sex Column: Toys to take it to the next level
Staying sexy during Freshers: consent is a must

My main tip is just don’t be shy! Experiment as much as you can with a variety of different positions and angles. If you’re too shy to start with a mirror in the bedroom, then start in the shower with a steamed-up mirror. Titanic-style.

Featured Image: The Croft

Got something you would like Carrie to speak about? Let us know anonymously here.