Epigram are recruiting for its 2019/20 Senior Team!

Applications are now open for the Senior Editorial Team in charge of taking Epigram into its 31st year.

Being on Epigram's Senior Team is an incredibly rewarding experience - you get to run an independent newspaper. Full training is provided for all successful candidates by this year's outgoing team, but candidates will ideally already have good knowledge of student media, particularly Epigram itself.

Previous Senior Editors have included the likes of Ben Parr (The Times), Hannah Price (BBC 3), James Landale, (BBC News), William Lewis (The Daily Telegraph, The Wall Street Journal), Susannah Reid (BBC Breakfast, ITV Good Morning Britain), Krissi Murrison (The Sunday Times) and many others. Fancy joining them? See below the roles you can apply for.

The closing date is Friday 22nd March 2019. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch and email editor@epigram.org.uk.

Role descriptions:

Editor in Chief: Responsible for the overall management and running of Epigram, as well as liaising with the University Press Office and Bristol SU, among other relations. Also responsible for management of the News team including the coverage of major and breaking stories and liaising with national media outlets. Oversees the Editorial Team’s creation of the fortnightly newspaper, and works with Sub-Editors and Deputy Editors to edit and produce the final version to send to print. Works with both the Business Team and Online Team to ensure the smooth running of all of Epigram’s operations. Requires strong organisation skills, time management, communication and leadership, and excellent knowledge of how Epigram works. An ideal candidate will have proven commitment to student media and good knowledge and ideas for adapting and continuing the publication in a rapidly changing landscape.

Online Editor: Responsible for maintaining Epigram’s online presence and reputation for digital excellence, including the operation of the website, the management of all social media channels, and the maintenance of all other digital aspects of Epigram (including email systems). Requires innovative thinking, strong organisation skills and time management, communication, and excellent knowledge of how Epigram works online. The ideal candidate will preferably have some knowledge of the technical aspects of digital journalism (video editing, websites etc) though this is not a requirement.

Deputy Editors: Responsible for supporting the Editor in the production of the newspaper and the general organisation of the publication.

Deputy Online Editors: Responsible for supporting the Online Editor in the management and organisation of all digital channels and online aspects of the publication.

Head of Technology: A senior team member who can handle the needs of both maintenance and development of the technological aspects of Epigram, shaping the development of technology individually and in partnership with other senior team members in line with broader development aims of the publication. See full job description and required skills here.

How to Apply

To apply for any of these roles, please send:

• An ideas sheet, outlining your vision for the direction of the newspaper. No more than two sides of A4.
  • A covering letter
  • Your CV

to editor@epigram.org.uk by Friday 22nd March 2019. Please put the subject of your email as "Application-(role you're applying for)-(your name)".

We will interview a shortlist of candidates in the week commencing 25th March 2019. After the interviews, we will appoint the new senior team for ratification at our AGM in May. Please be aware we may offer you a role you did not originally apply for, but we will let you know if this is the case.

Applications for Epigram's Editorial Team will open in May.