Epigram is recruiting for its 2022/23 Editorial Team!

Fancy joining the editorial team of one of the UK's leading student publications? Epigram is hiring a brand new editorial team for 2021-22 and also recruiting for an open pool of creative roles!

Fancy joining the editorial team of one of the UK's leading student publications? Epigram is hiring a brand new editorial team of Editors, Deputy Editors and Digital Editors for the new academic year. As an addition this year, Epigram will also be recruiting for a brand new creative team for anyone with a creative inclination towards illustration, photography, graphic design and more.

Once you have decided which role you would like to apply for, click HERE to apply. Applications close at 5pm on 8th June!

Alternatively, applications for the Croft magazine open on June 6th!

News

Being on the news team can be a fast-paced yet incredibly rewarding job – and it’s a lot easier than it sounds, so get involved!

Editor

• You will lead Epigram's coverage of news and events, find stories, and cover breaking news as it happens. Your duties will include the design and lay up of the section in print, and assisting the Digital Editor in uploading online content.
  • You will be expected to maintain a close relationship with both the University Press Office and SU Comms Manager and have a keen awareness of most aspects of university life.
  • You will be responsible for ensuring the News team runs effectively, are in communication and are aware of what needs to be covered.

Digital Editor

• Your role will be to produce news stories in exciting and engaging ways, both online and on social media platforms. You will also be expected to find and write stories relating to the university, students and local community issues and prepare breaking news stories for social media platforms.

Deputy Editor

• As Deputy Editor, you will also be required to cover and write news stories for Epigram and liaise with both the university and the SU.
  • Your role will also include assisting with the lay up of the paper in print.

SU Correspondent

• Your role will focus on investigating stories relating to the Student’s Union. Whether this be attending an AMM or meeting with societies and elected officers, your job will be to find out what goes on behind the scenes and what the SU is doing for students.
  • You will be expected to maintain a close relationship with the SU Comms Manager to understand the campaigns run by SU Officers' and their priority areas.
  • You will also assist with laying up the paper for print and online.

Investigations Editor

• You will have the opportunity to dig into hidden stories around the university and the wider city of Bristol. Your focus will be on creating news and finding stories that other news outlets have not yet covered.
  • This role is distinct from breaking news, and will be afforded time to find a story, interview the relevant personnel, determine the facts and write an article that will appeal to the student population.
  • You will also assist with laying up the paper for print and online for the relevant sections.

News Reporter

• You will be responsible for handling press releases and writing up stories that relate to University of Bristol students.
  • You will be expected to contribute to the paper regularly, keeping in touch with both the news editor and senior editorial team.

BAME Affairs Correspondent

• Your role will cover the topics and issues that speak to and represent Bristol’s BAME community.
  • This will involve exploring and investigating the issues faced by Bristol’s BAME students, which will entail conducting interviews, carrying out data research and writing up articles.
  • The aims for the position include holding the University and other relevant institutions to account, forming strong relationships with the BME Network and other relevant societies and ultimately keeping the issues faced by Bristol’s BAME students at the fore of student journalism, to keep the momentum for greater change to be enacted.

Features

From interviews to investigations, Features goes behind the headlines to tell human-interest stories that make a difference. Features place an emphasis on in-depth narrative style articles which give our readers the whole story.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Features section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You will also have the opportunity to edit and write narrative-style articles and conduct your own interviews.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating digital content for Features, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This may involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content for the Features section. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
  • Examples of this could be recording exclusive interviews with people covered in Features stories.

Deputy Editor

• You will be responsible for helping the Features Editor produce the fortnightly editions in print, and assist with online coverage. A key element of your job will be flexibility and dependability.

Investigations Editor

• The Investigations Editor will carry out well-researched, in-depth investigations, working closely and collaboratively with the News Investigations team. With more time to cover a story than breaking news, this role will involve following leads, building a source base, constructing and ultimately writing a feature that appeals to the student population.

Opinion

Opinion seeks to represent the student body's full range of views. The Opinion team's role involves attracting writers of varying political and social stances to get the views of students from all walks of life. In covering the views of students, Opinion provides a crucial ability to understand what matters to students, which can help bring about change. It also provides the opportunity to enhance, and appeal to, the University’s sense of community.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Opinion section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You will also be in charge of maintaining Epigram's balance of opinions – politically, socially and economically. You will be chiefly responsible for determining which topics have relevance and relatability to the wider student community.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating Opinion’s digital content, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This may involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
  • You will be producing multimedia Opinion articles to express the views of the wider student population, such as filming interviews on campus and utilising social media to reach the widest possible audience.

Deputy Editor

• You will be responsible for helping the Opinion Editor produce the fortnightly editions in print, and assist with online coverage. A key element of your job will be flexibility and dependability.
  • This role will help shape the direction of Opinion and seek out minority and excluded student viewpoints to maintain a balance of opinion.

Science & Tech

Both Bristol as a city and UoB as a global research leader produce plenty of science and technology stories, breakthroughs, and entrepreneurial successes. The SciTech section should concisely relay this exciting information to the general student body, with an accessible and accurate approach.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Science & Tech section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You will ensure that content is focused on Bristol-based science and tech news, which may at times link to national and global developments.
  • You will also be eager to seek out interviews with Bristol-based scientists and tech entrepreneurs to be on-top-of breakthroughs and discoveries as they happen.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating SciTech’s digital content, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This may involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!

Deputy Editor

• You will be responsible for helping the Editor produce the fortnightly editions in print, and assist with online coverage. A key element of your job will be flexibility and dependability.
  • Your role will require a focus on researching local scientific and technological companies and building good relationships with these to provide coverage of new information.

Film & TV

The Film & TV is one of our most popular sections due to the vibrancy of the Bristol film scene. With wonderful independent cinemas, such as Watershed and The Cube, and a high level of student-produced film, there’s more potential here than just reviews and a local angle provides unique coverage.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Film & TV section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You will also liaise with local cinemas, and film-related events and PR teams to distribute reviews and coverage among writers with a sharp and critical editorial eye to determine what is and isn’t relatable for the wider student population.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating Film & TV’s digital content, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This may involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
  • Examples of this could be interviews or behind-the-scenes with local or student filmmakers.

Deputy Editor

• You will be responsible for helping the Film & TV Editor produce the fortnightly editions in print, and assist with online coverage. A key element of your job will be flexibility and dependability.
  • You will work closely to ensure writers are covering a wide-range of Film and TV content, and are paying close attention to student-produced works.

Arts

Bristol has recently been named the ‘Most Artistic City in the UK’ and has a vibrant, creative community. Organising writers to cover opening-night reviews of student-produced theatre is a priority for the Arts team but other popular areas to cover include literature, art exhibitions, and creative writing.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Arts section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You will ensure coverage of the university and the city of Bristol’s artistic community. This will require liaising with drama and arts societies as well as local theatres, and distributing reviews and coverage among writers.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating digital content for Arts, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This may involve producing videos, graphics and other interactive content. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
  • This could entail conducting behind-the-scenes interviews with local or student creatives, photography sessions and producing engaging social media graphics.

Deputy Editor

• You will be responsible for helping the Arts Editor produce the fortnightly editions in print, and assist with online coverage. A key element of your job will be flexibility and dependability.
  • You will work closely with writers and societies to ensure a wide coverage of local performances, especially student-produced content.

Music

Bristol has one of the best and most diverse music scenes in the UK. The Music section must cover student musicians, local artists, student-run events and gigs in Bristol. The content should be a balance of local news, reviews, interviews, and longer features or discussions that appeal to the student community.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Music section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You are expected to maintain strong relationships with local and regional press contacts that have been built by previous Music teams. In this, the Music Editor will request press and photography passes for Epigram’s Music writers too.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating Music’s digital content, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms. This may involve attending events (i.e. gigs, festivals and concerts) and producing videos, graphics and other interactive content. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!

Deputy Editor

• You will be responsible for helping the Music Editor produce the fortnightly editions in print, and assist with online coverage. A key element of your job will be flexibility and dependability.

Sport

The main aim of the Sport section is to cover the most important stories of the student sport community: the results, the team successes, individual awards, community engagement, and professional progression. This will entail coverage of the current student opinions on the sporting world and there’s also a wider scope to tell the stories of UoB alumni or local Bristol teams that are competing at the highest level.

Editor

• You will be responsible and accountable for the Sport section of Epigram and managing your individual team. You will be in charge of the overall vision for the section both in print and online, and will work closely with the Senior Team to create the fortnightly newspaper.
  • You will lead your team in covering sporting events in-person and talk to athletes in order to create student-specific content. The role will also require organising and maintaining relationships with the University’s sports teams.

Digital Editor

• You will be in charge of creating digital content for Sports, both on the Epigram site and across the relevant social media platforms, leading the expansion of Epigram’s sports coverage to include video and audio journalism. No prior experience is needed, just a keenness to learn!
  • You will be responsible for ensuring there is consistent photograph coverage for sporting events.

Match Day Reporter

• You will keep the scores on the doors by providing the latest sporting fixtures and results.
  • You should attend big sporting occasions, including Intramural events, to report and write on them in an engaging manner.

Investigations Correspondent

• You will carry out in-depth investigations into the most important long-form sports stories at the University of Bristol and research into wider sports affairs in Bristol.
  • You should be knowledgeable about the sporting scene at the University to be up-t0-date on its goings on.

Subeditors

Chief Proofreader

• Your role will be to organise the proofreading of the paper and website, to continuously ensure there are no grammatical, spelling and visual mistakes. For this role you it is helpful if you have a good eye for detail and impeccable spelling and grammar.

Subeditor of a section

• Each section of Epigram has its own subeditor. As a sub-editor of one of the sections of the paper, your role will be to ensure the layout of each issue and online publication reads with as few grammatical, spelling and visual mistakes as possible. You will be expected to have a good eye for captions and headlines and ensure these are up to standard, communicating with section editors and replacing headlines with better alternatives when necessary.
  • You will be a key member of the Epigram team, with the opportunity to write articles and contribute to the section which you subedit.

Podcast Team

Bristol University is home to both a community of scientific and investigative researchers and hugely creative, innovative people, many of whom we know very little about. Podcasts provide the opportunity to showcase just what people are up to with, often, a more personal approach than the written word. These roles are also open to anyone applying for any other role with Epigram, should they be willing and interested to do so.

Podcast Editor

• A regular presenter of a weekly Epigram podcast. This could be a series that covers the news, features and viewpoints of student life, or a series that takes on a specific brief – a weekly podcast, for instance, that interviews UoB educators about their works, findings and developments.

Podcast Deputy Editor

• A producer and editor of the weekly Epigram podcast. This role will entail arranging interviews, organising loose presenter scripts, and editing the recordings as part of the podcast team. No prior skill set required, but a willingness to learn on the job essential.

Creative Team

We are excited to announce the creation of Epigram's first official Creative Team!

This team will be responsible for independently creating content for the online paper and Epigram’s social media channels, as well as responding to content requests from other sections of the paper. This ‘content’ will be anything from photography, illustration, and graphic design to cartoons and short film clips. We are looking for individuals with an interest in creating original and eye-catching content. The emphasis will be on the team creating its own output, so the editors should be independent and self-motivated. This is a great opportunity for creatives to grow their portfolio and develop their skills in multiple areas.

Visual Editor

You will be responsible for creating regular content for the website and social media channels, as well as managing and delegating requests from other sections of the paper.  Applicants should be creatively minded and organised.

Deputy Editor

You will be responsible for assisting the visual editor with creating content across multiple platforms.

Applications can include examples of previous work, new ideas for Epigram content, or proof of their self-motivation - anything that would make you a strong fit for the team!

We look forward to hearing from you!

Any questions? Please email editorialapplications.epigram@gmail.com to get in touch.

Featured Image: Epigram

Will you be applying for a role on Epigram's editorial team?