I’m a big fan of a warm winter salad, both comforting and nourishing at the same time, it makes for the perfect lunch during peak deadline stress.
We all know salads can be a bit ‘bleh’, but this one is anything but. It’s got a bit of everything; crunch from the toasted walnuts, chewy sultanas and the creamy tahini dressing along with a welcome zing from the pink pickled onion, so you definitely won't get bored eating it!
This recipe was made in partnership with Merchant Gourmet, who are currently recruiting for Student Ambassadors - read on to find out how to apply! Become a MG Student Brand Ambassador – Merchant Gourmet (merchant-gourmet.com)
For the salad:
A good glug of olive oil
½ red onion, finely sliced
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
250g pack Merchant Gourmet beluga lentils
Handful of sultanas
Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
For the tahini yoghurt:
4 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp yoghurt
Juice of ½ lemon
1 clove of garlic, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200C
2. Slice the aubergine into 2cm rounds, and toss together with a good glug of olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking tray and pop into the oven for around 40 mins, flipping them halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, place the sliced red onion in a small bowl with the red wine vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt, give it a mix and leave to pickle away.
4. Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over a low to medium heat, watching them like a hawk to make sure they don’t burn, once they’ve turned a dark golden brown and are smelling delicious, remove from the heat.
5. Heat the Merchant Gourmet beluga lentils following the guidance on the packet, then add these to a large bowl along with the sultanas, toasted walnuts, parsley, about 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper.
6. To make the tahini yoghurt, combine all the ingredients along with some warm water, loosening it to a nice dropping consistency.
7. Once the aubergine are golden brown and ready, remove from the oven and leave to one side. Drain the pickling liquid from the red onions into your bowl of lentils and mix it all together.
8. To assemble, place your aubergine rounds on a plate, top with the lentil mixture, dollop over the dressing and finish with the pink pickled onions and a final scattering of parsley.
If you like this recipe, read on to find out about how you can get involved with Merchant Gourmet by becoming one of their brand ambassadors!
Passionate about the planet and want to earn some extra £££?
Merchant Gourmet is on the lookout for 8-10 Student Brand Ambassadors from The University of Bristol to act as on-the-ground advocates.
- Endless MG products and cash incentives.
- Invaluable marketing and sales experience.
- Careers advice from wider MG team and a potential paid summer internship.
- The chance to be a force for good!
Interested? Read more and apply here: https://www.merchant-gourmet.com/our-blog/post/become-a-mg-student-brand-ambassador/
The application deadline is 21st December, good luck!