A love letter to my mother's style

The Croft Magazine // To celebrate Mother's Day, Thea shares the style advice that has stood the test of time, given to her by her mum.

By Theano Dimopoulou, Second year, Psychology in Education

Dear Mum,

I was debating how to start this letter. It's difficult to reflect on all the tips you have given me. Firstly, it seems only fair to say thank you! Thank you for the many things you have taught me about style and fashion. From dressing up, to dressing down, from sporty looks to haute couture. Thank you for always reminding me that I should not care about what people say or think, that I should prioritise wearing what makes me happy and what makes me feel the best about myself, how I shouldn't care about the size on the tag, but rather how it fits on my body. You always wore what made you feel best. No matter what people said or expected, you always got so many compliments, because you were just being yourself.

Epigram/Theano Dimopoulou

You always kept reminding me that just as everybody is different, every body is different. You reminded me of the importance of knowing my body, accepting my body, and flaunting everything good I was “blessed with”.  I now know I should always invest in timeless pieces and spend less on current trends, as they are only temporary. I will always remember you telling me to stay classy and teaching me how to dress for an occasion. I continue to be amazed by how much of a difference a good outfit can make on a day-to-day basis on my mood and my life in general. Thank you for making me understand – regardless of my protests – that less is more. You taught me it's better to invest and treat your clothes well, rather than needing to spend money every couple of months on cheap duplicates, because in the long run, you save money. And as you always use to say - “clothes need to last a long time”.

One thing I will always remember is your magic ability to combine colours. You were able to make outrageous patterns or block-colours look sophisticated and you always managed to stand out when necessary. The same thing goes for textured clothes. Thank you for making me realise that a plain shirt with jeans and a handbag is equally as easy to put together as a dress with a fur coat and a clutch. But, regardless of how entertaining it can be to experiment with clothes, you taught me that when in doubt, always use a neutral foundation and build up. From a coffee date, to running errands, to a job interview: a neutral, minimalistic outfit makes you look more confident.

So, I just want to say thank you, for letting me make my own mistakes – fashion-related and otherwise, but most of all thank you for never leaving my side.

Thea x

The good and the bad: Runway edition
Fashion and feminism: a history

Featured image: Epigram/Morgan Collins

Check out The Croft Magazine on Instagram for some more stylish content!