Bristol University scraps no-detriment and safety net measures for January exams

Bristol University announced on Thursday night that no-detriment measures will be scrapped for the new national lockdown, amid a wider axe to safety net proposals across Russell Group institutions.

By Eve Bentley-Hussey, SU Correspondent

In a university-wide email, officials said they had established a joint task force with the Students' Union to 'work through appropriate mitigations', but offered scant guidance beyond assurances of updates after the January exam period.

The University of Bristol added that they support the Russell Group's statement on the no-detriment and safety net proposals – meaning that university officials have deemed the measures unnecessary.

The university's email advised students to contact their course representatives and their Sabbatical Officers for Education for support and advice, as well as to feed through their comments and feedback.

‘We recognise that the news of the further lockdown is unsettling and challenging,' the university said. 'We are fully committed to supporting you with fair assessments and academic outcomes.'

The new missive comes after a petition on this matter started by a Bristol student received over 2400 signatures in support of the safety net policy being reinstated.

Most of the 25 other Russell Group universities have so far adopted the same position, except for the University of York, which has said it will implement a safety net for students.

Confirming its plans for the delivery of teaching in TB2, the university has said that all teaching will be online until mid-February but that it is preparing for teaching to be online until Easter, if necessary.

Petition for reintroduction of safety net at Bristol Uni passes 1500 signatures
University of Bristol urges students to stay put after announcement of third lockdown

The university is urging students to follow government guidance and stay put where they are, avoiding travel back to Bristol until at least the middle of February.

The email confirmed the university’s previous correspondence instructing students to register for two coronavirus tests on arrival back in Bristol. Students who do not take the two lateral flow COVID-19 tests have been instructed to self-isolate for ten days upon their return.

Featured Image: Lucy O’Neill

Do you think that the University of Bristol should implement no detriment safety net measures?