University of Bristol urges students to stay put after announcement of third lockdown

A university-wide email sent today tells students to remain where they are, following the government’s announcement of a national lockdown last night.

By Megan Evans, News Subeditor

A university-wide email sent today tells students to remain where they are, following the Government’s announcement of a national lockdown last night.

The announcement of a third national lockdown – in a bid to control a surge in cases and the rise of a new, more contagious variant – from 8pm on 4 January means that learning has been moved entirely online for most courses until mid-February.

Although there has been little guidance issued for universities so far, students have been discouraged from travelling if journeys are non-essential.

The email from Bristol University's Pro-Vice Chancellor for Student Experience, Professor Sarah Purdy, urges students to ‘Stay at home where you can.

‘The guidance means that if you are still away from Bristol, you should stay where you are and not return. If you are in Bristol, you should remain here.’

The Vice-Chancellor’s email explains that the University ‘[remains] fully committed to blended learning, which is accessible from home.’

The University has confirmed that it is ‘awaiting further information from the Department for Education before [it] can give [students] the advice they need in full detail’, but states that it will be sharing this ‘as soon as possible’.

Students whose course requires them to return to Bristol have been told to expect communication from the university directly, and are reminded to take two Covid tests or isolate for ten days on their return to Bristol.

For those students in Bristol, libraries are almost entirely closed, with the exception of the Arts and Social Sciences library which is ‘open for urgent access only.’

Official government advice states that students should not move between their home and university addresses during term-time.

Featured Image: Lucy O’Neill

How do you feel about being told not to return to University until mid-February?