Face visors no longer made compulsory for in-person teaching

The move follows evidence that visors have little effect on reducing COVID-19 transmission.

By Molly Pipe, Deputy News Editor

Wearing face visors will no longer be compulsory for students attending in-person contact hours, the University of Bristol has confirmed.

However, face masks and social distancing are still required.

Visors have been compulsory for on-campus teaching since the beginning of term for almost all students. They were not compulsory in study spaces, where only masks are required.

The University initially ordered 75,000 visors, distributing them to staff and students free of charge at the start of term.

The decision to reverse the policy comes as a result of advice from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), an internal University email explained.

It states that visors offer minimal extra protection against COVID-19 when face masks and social distancing are already in effect.

Blanket fine threatened to entire Halls block unless organisers of gathering come forward
All Bristol students offered asymptomatic testing from 30 November

The University, which has previously faced criticism from staff over its continuation of on-campus teaching, added in the all-staff email: ‘The evidence in terms of cases suggests there is little to no evidence of transmission of the virus in teaching spaces across the campus, and the risk of transmission is low.

‘Face coverings will continue to be mandatory in all our spaces unless there is a specific risk assessment in place that defines different measures.

‘Visors will still be available for use if teaching staff or student feel wearing both would provide reassurance, or where there is an underlying health condition.’

Featured Image: Epigram / Siavash Minoukadeh

How have you found it, wearing a face visor for in-person teaching?