The ultimate guide to making your uni room suit you

It’s that time of year again, time to be wheeling around on the back of your IKEA trolley. Although shopping for university is going to be a little different this year, there’s no need for your room to be as boring as your life has been over the past few months.

By Elin Alexander, Second Year, Politics and Social Policy.

Step One: Pick a Theme

Your bedding and duvet covers can really ‘make or break’ your room, as they are the first thing seen as you walk into it. So, I say once you’ve chosen the style of your bedding, match everything else in the room to it. If your style is minimalistic or you prefer the décor in the room to do the talking, go for pristine white sheets; but, if your style is more delicate and feminine, you might love this dreamy pink Urban Outfitters duvet cover. Picking a colour theme is always a good idea too. Adding throws and cushions can create that extra cosy feel.

Pink Duvet Cover | Urban Outfitters | £35

Step Two: Plants

Now for everyone’s favourite… plants. Having plants in your room has been proven to boost your mood and productivity, reduce stress and clean the air.  Here are some of the easiest to look after, because let’s face it, we all know most of us students are useless when it comes to being responsible.

Cacti and succulents are super easy to look after as they only need to be watered when the soil is nearly completely dry. There are also so many different sizes and shapes, meaning there’s one for everyone!

Small Cactus | Patch | £3

Air Plants too are great! They are a unique plant that grow without soil, they look great in glass jars or containers and they’d be the perfect addition to your desk or shelf, and of course, remember to soak in water once a week!

Tillandsia Air Plants | BloomPost | £14.95

Step Three: Lighting

Lighting is a nice way to set the mood in your room. LEDs are probably the most popular choice for lighting and they really set the mood. Plus, if you’re active on TikTok, your viewers will appreciate your aesthetically pleasing choice of bedroom lighting. They are easy to set up too, although I’d advise against the sticky strips, as they are a nightmare to untangle when taking them down. Check out these Amazon USB powered colour changing LED strip lights with music sync and remote. Or if you fancy adding a more feminine touch, perhaps these butterfly string LED lights will be just what you are looking for!

Butterfly String Light | Dunelm | £6

Don't forget either about lava lamps, they create a nice calming effect in your room and you could easily stare at them for hours.

Lava Lamp | Argos | £18

Step Four: Commands Strips

Lastly, these strips are ideal for putting posters and pictures in frames on your wall for a more homely feel - or in my unfortunate case, to hide the mould on the walls. They are also so easy to use and they don’t leave any marks, so you won’t need to worry about losing your deposit!

So there you have it! Whether you’re a fresher moving out for the first time, or a final year moving into a new house, hopefully this guide will help transform your plain, lifeless room into your own personal haven.

Young Goat: Interview with the UoB-grad led streetwear brand

Get the know-how: Sustainable denim

Featured Image: Prystai / Shutterstock

How will you be decorating your uni room this year?