Common first year fears

The Croft Magazine // First year can be a whirlwind and although that comes with great times, it can be scary too. Hendrike Rahtz answers some of your fears about first year.

By Hendrike Rahtz, Croft Deputy Editor

I’m worried I won’t find ‘my people’.

This worry probably means you are already putting too much pressure on making friends. There are THOUSANDS of new people starting at the exact same time as you, and your people will be amongst them.

You will meet such a variety of people that maybe who ‘your people’ turn out to be will surprise you. Also, sometimes it happens that you won’t meet your greatest friends until well into second year. Give it time, and be open-minded.

You'll make friends sooner than you think | Epigram / Daisy Farrow

There are so many people and the campus is so big, I’m worried about feeling lonely and not knowing where to go.

Speak to your tutor, or someone you trust, whether they are a fellow student or not. There are also Residential Life Advisors in university accommodations who you can find on the University of Bristol website.

The student wellbeing service is located at Hampton House, St Michael's Hill, where you can find out more information on getting counselling. The Big White Wall enables you to chat online anonymously about issues you are having if you do not want to discuss them in person.

I want to have a good time but I’m worried about budgeting.

Luckily students don’t get all their student loan money for the year at once. So that’s one way of budgeting the money throughout the year! One payment is meant to last you a few months, and its usual that sometimes you’ll make mistakes in that time – spending too much on a ticket for a shitty event, ordering too many takeaways, buying too many new clothes etc.

Learn to cook, don’t shop at Waitrose, delete the Just Eat app, go to charity shops, and download UNiDAYS and Student Beans to get decent discounts at restaurants and shops (if you MUST go).

Create restaurant-quality meals at home for cheap! | Epigram / Daisy Farrow

I’m worried about ‘sexpectations’. There seems to be a big sex culture at uni, and I’m worried about being pressured into it.

It is true that university has been portrayed as a place where people ‘let go’ and have lots of wild sex, but that’s not everyone. You should not feel pressured to do anything you are not comfortable with, and if you do feel like that, speak to someone. Being at university is not a reason to do things you are uncomfortable with.

There's nothing wrong with having a coke even if your friends are drinking | Epigram / Daisy Farrow

I don’t drink alcohol. I’m worried about fitting in, because drinking seems such a big part of uni culture.

It would be best to focus on meeting people through societies and through your course. Unfortunately, it is true that drinking tends to be in the middle of a lot of social events – but it’s not a necessity.

Also, you are not the only one, and it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go out clubbing or go to the pub – the friends you make should be friends with you for your personality rather than how well you can handle your pints.

There are also plenty of activities in Bristol that you can enjoy without a drink in hand – check out this article from last year.

Featured: Epigram / Emma Holding

Find The Croft Magazine in every copy of Epigram newspaper