Bristol SU Shortlisted for Inclusive Companies Awards

'The University of Bristol is increasingly attracting a more diverse student body and Bristol SU is responsive to that.'

By James Cleaver, Online News Editor

The SU has been nominated for the Diversity Marketing Campaign of the Year for its work on the Bristol BME Powerlist.

For the awards held on 15 November, the SU has been shortlisted for its work on the Bristol BME Powerlist - covered by Epigram - as well as the provision of support for students to set up campaigns focused on ameliorating diversity and inclusion within the student community.

On an individual level, Samantha Budd, Bristol SU's Chief Executive, has also been shortlisted for the Diversity Champion Award for the Education Sector. She won the 2018 Simpson King Staff Achievement Award in light of her becoming the first black female Chief Executive in any UK Students' Union.

Sally Patterson, Equality, Liberation and Access Officer at Bristol SU said: 'The University of Bristol is increasingly attracting a more diverse student body and Bristol SU is responsive to that. Being shortlisted for these awards shows that the SU, under Sam’s leadership, is providing a space where students and staff can thrive.'

The Inclusive Companies Awards are partnering with the Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers. A groundbreaking and definitive list of the country's most inclusive companies will be unveiled by them. The highest-ranking organisations will receive recognition in the form of a Diverse Company Award.

'The University of Bristol in increasingly attracting a more diverse student body and Bristol SU is responsive to that.'

The Inclusive Companies Awards aim to highlight employers that diversify their workforces and challenge discrimination, applauding those for their fight against inequality.

Alison Lowe, CEO of Touchsone, the UK’s most inclusive employer said: 'Diversity is not just something employers ought to do; it is something we must do if we are to recruit and retain the best staff and maintain an edge on the competition. The Inclusive Companies Awards celebrate the best in great diversity and inclusion practice whilst also recognising those special employers who go that extra mile to make their staff feel engaged.'

'The awards also showcase individuals who have led on inclusion – often without thanks or understanding of the many barriers people might face. I am delighted to be a judge once again for these prestigious awards and am looking forward to honouring those whose selfless devotion to fairness and justice sets them apart.'

'Diversity is not just something employers ought to do; it is something we must do if we are to recruit and retain the best staff and maintain an edge on the competition...The awards also showcase individuals who have led on inclusion – often without thanks or understanding of the many barriers people might face.'

Paul Sesay, CEO and Founder of the Inclusive Companies Awards and National Diversity Awards, added: 'The Inclusive Companies Awards continue to be an exceptional way to celebrate the courageous actions of individuals and organisations, who are already striving for inclusion. Let's celebrate the tremendous feats of our incredible shortlisted nominees.'

Winners will be announced at The Midland Hotel, Manchester on November 15th. A panel of luminaries including Andy Woodfield of PwC, Pamela Hutchinson of Bloomberg and Dianah Worman OBE recently gathered to finalise the widely anticipated shortlist.

To view the full list of shortlisted nominees, click here.

Featured image: Epigram / Kate Hutchison