Severe weather warning for South West causes disruption

An amber weather warning for Wind and Snow has been extended to Bristol and the surrounding areas, with a Red warning, the highest that can be issued, for Wales and the South West.

The severe weather is likely to roll in this evening, according to the Met Office .

The first impact of the wintery weather is travel, though it remains to be seen whether the University will be open as usual tomorrow. The U1 bus service will be withdrawn from 9pm tonight, with the last bus to Stoke Bishop departing from Queen's Avenue at 8:45pm. Students have been advised to check the First West of England timetables for travel updates. The U1 Bus Pass will work on the number 3 service to Stoke Bishop, if it is running.

The Met office has said:

"A spell of heavy snow is expected. The snow will be accompanied by very strong easterly winds leading to blizzards and considerable drifting. From Thursday evening some places could also see ice build up due to freezing rain. Long delays and cancellations of public transport seem very likely.

"Some roads may become blocked by deep snow, stranding vehicles and passengers. Long interruptions to power supplies and other utilities are likely to occur, along with possible damage to trees and other structures due to heavy snow or ice".

In an email sent to all students, Paul Smith, Deputy Head of Estates, said:

"Although the University will remain open, your Heads of School will advise on any local conditions that might affect scheduled activity.

Your personal safety is paramount. Please take notice of the Met Office weather warnings and advice from emergency services about likely disruption to travel and public transport. Please also take care on icy roads and pavements that may be deceptively dangerous."

More updates will be available here when we get them.

Featured image: Unsplash/Nathan Wolfe

Have you been affected by the snow? Let us know...