IN Bristol’s ‘Indie Weekend’

‘A weekend of discounts and treats from your favourite local businesses’

By Ana Hepburn, Second Year History

With Christmas right around the corner, now is the time to make the most of Bristol’s array of independent shops. After a year of financial strain which hit small businesses particularly hard, shopping local is more important than ever.

From Friday 18 to Sunday 20 November, IN Bristol held their third annual Indie Weekend, a true celebration of all things independent in Bristol. Over the weekend, independents offered exclusive discounts and treats to those who sign up to take part.

This year the event went online so that everyone could benefit from the deals without having to go in-store.

‘We’re so excited to be holding our Indie Weekend once again this year, after the successes of the last two years,’ explained Olivia Tripp, founder of IN Bristol. ‘We’re all about supporting independent businesses and Bristol Indie Weekend is the perfect opportunity to shop independent this Christmas’.

With shops all around the city taking part, from Redland and Clifton to Bedminster and Harbourside (and further afield), there was something for everyone. Epigram has compiled a list of some of the city’s best independent shops to cover all your festive needs and more, some of which participated in the ‘Indie Weekend’.

Fig 1, Unit 9, Gaol Ferry Steps, Bristol BS1 6WE

With locations in the city centre and Wapping Wharf, this is the perfect independent gift store for those wishing to add a contemporary European flare to their homes.

Indie Weekend

Frankly, Unit 5, Cargo, 2 Museum St, Bristol BS1 6ZA

Frankly is run with a commitment to ethical and sustainable standards. Supplying gifts from all over the world, the enterprise ensures that a large proportion of the selling price goes directly to the producer.

Sunday General, 6a Boyce's Ave, Clifton, Bristol BS8 4AA

Providing an array of edible delights, Sunday General offers high quality food products and baked goods. Their products are sustainable and locally sourced, with an impressive range of vegan products.

Playfull

This family run business sells toys made in Bristol and bought from different European suppliers, with a commitment to ensuring that all their products are made from sustainably sourced materials. They have been selling toys on Gloucester road since 2002.

Loot Vintage

The growing popularity of vintage shopping—particularly in Bristol—can make it an expensive trend to keep up with. Loot Vintage is an independent vintage store that determines their prices by weight, with a kilo of clothes costing £12.

Don Majors

Don Majors collects and sells a vast variety of thrifted clothes from a variety of brands. They update their stock regularly, selling one-off unique pieces.

LoveWell: the gifts that keep on giving
The Key Café Project: the café offering placements to Bristol’s forgotten citizens

Fox + Feather

Fox + Feather have cultivated an extensive range of hand-crafted European garments at an affordable price. A personal favourite is their extensive range of knit and recycled polyester scarves.

Did you take part in the ‘Indie Weekend’?

Featured Image: Indie Weekend