University of Bristol Dental School to expand to new site in 2023

Having outgrown its current premises on Lower Maudlin Street, Bristol Dental School have confirmed plans to expand

By Sarah Dalton, SciTech Editor

The new £27 million purpose-built facilities will be located at the pre-existing 1 Trinity Quay in Avon Street, close to the proposed new university campus at Temple Quarter.

The facilities, opening in 2023, offer an exciting upgrade for students and staff, with latest equipment being spread across 7,300 square meters of space and 119 dental chairs.

The University of Bristol have stated that this additional space will allow for an increase in the number of available student places for the competitive course by around 25 per cent. In addition to this, the facilities will enable to School to offer new courses including a Diploma in Dental Nursing.

The current Bristol Dental Hospital on Lower Maudlin Street, which has been the home of Bristol Dental School since its opening in 1939, will continue to be used for research purposes.

However, this expansion will also allow for the creation of new jobs including dentists, hygienists, therapists, nurses, technicians and support staff.

The choice of the new site was one made by staff and student representatives, colleagues from University Hospitals Bristol, Weston NHS Foundation Trust, Health Education England, Healthwatch Bristol, and local NHS commissioners.

The proposed look for the new renovated building | BDP/Sanders Studio

A multi-disciplinary team will be working on the redesign of 1 Trinity Quay, to include clinical spaces, prosthetics and dental production laboratories, dental clinics, teaching spaces, staff offices and informal study/social areas.

Professor Jane Norman, Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, explained that: ‘We have been exploring options for a new home for the Dental School for some time.

‘The central location and easy access via public transport were important factors in our decision, ensuring we’re well-placed to offer free dental care and oral health to local communities. We anticipate these services will be welcome to help alleviate backlogs at dental practices caused by the pandemic.

Bristol Uni announces that all staff and students are now required to wear a mask on campus
How modern life has changed the human skeleton

‘Research will remain on site at the Dental Hospital, and strong partnership working between the University and University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust will also continue as we work together to develop a joint vision and future service model for dental education.’

Featured Image: Epigram/Sarah Dalton

What do you think of the expansion?

Could not load content Could not load content