Bristol SU launches Student Mental Health Partnership Project

Bristol SU is looking for students to take part in research to ‘improve students' experience of accessing support.’

By Megan Evans, News Editor

Bristol SU is looking for students to take part in research to improve students' experience of accessing support.

The University of Bristol is taking part in the Student Mental Health Partnerships Project, which aims to improve students’ experiences of mental health support by researching ‘the pathways to care and the co-ordination of care offered by universities and local NHS services.’

The ultimate goal of this project is to create a ‘partnership’ between university support services and local NHS services, to coordinate the care that students may receive from different bodies.

In order to do this, Bristol SU wants to hear from students who have received mental health support from both the university and the NHS. Participating students would be interviewed by a University of Bristol Student Researcher and will receive £20 for taking part.

Bristol SU states that ‘It’s really important for us to involve students in shaping care options and making recommendations about the services in the Bristol area.’

Colston statue to be displayed at M Shed next month
Pfizer launches Vaccine Centre of Excellence at the University of Bristol

This is one of ten projects that have been funded nationally by the Office for Students, following the findings of a 2018 report published by Universities UK, which found a significant variation in mental health care offered to students.

The University of Bristol and Bristol SU form part of a city-wide ‘hub’ of student centres, along with UWE Bristol and its Students’ Union, Bristol City Council, West of England Academic Health Sciences Network (WEAHSN) and the NHS. This hub is one of five across the UK.

Students interested in taking part in this research can fill out a form HERE.

Featured Image: Epigram / Lucy O'Neill

More information about the project can be found HERE.