Return of the retro

The Croft Magazine // The decades that once shook Britain are back to do it all over again. And I’m here for it! Here’s an edit of all the funky pieces and styles I’m loving right now, inspired by 60s and 70s fashion.

By Tshokey Mindara, Third year, History

“Florals for spring? Groundbreaking.”

No, seriously! A classic print from the 70s, this mini skirt from Urban Outfitters oozes flower power. I recommend sizing up, true to its name, this skirt is as mini as they come.

A picture containing person, indoor, child, wall

Description automatically generated
UO Peachy Floral Mini Skirt, £28 | Urban Outfitters - Epigram/Tshokey Mindara

Disco Swirls

These Asta Pants perfectly encapsulate the psychedelic marble patterns that find their home in the 60s. With their loose fit and intense marbling, these are one cool pair of trousers. For a cheaper alternative, look towards Jaded London with their new Morpheus collection.

A picture containing footwear

Description automatically generated
Asta Pants, £105 | Hosbjerg

Silk and satin scarves

If you’ve been on Instagram, then you’ll understand my obsession with Mimi Moocher and her headscarves. Summertime, we wore them as tops; come spring, we wear them as head scarves. Find stunning prints on Depop for under £10.

Epigram/Tshokey Mindara

Flares to flatter

Fast-growing Spanish label, Gimaguas has the fashion world hypnotised with this trippy pattern. A staple of 70s fashion, the flared silhouette is uber flattering for all body types. With a restock due in April, it’s one not to miss. Have a look at Urban Outfitters for further flare inspiration.

A person wearing a dress

Description automatically generated with low confidence
Disco Waves Pants, £60 | Gimaguas - Epigram/Tshokey Mindara

The (almost) transparent trend

If you want to stand out, these gloves will seal the deal. An ode to the 60s, these groovy mesh gloves will add a punch of colour to any outfit. If you can picture Twiggy wearing it, then it’s a must buy.

A picture containing person, indoor, child, colorful

Description automatically generated
Retro Swirl Printed Mesh Gloves, £18 | Jaded London

Hibiscus print

A blast from the past, this Hawaiian print screams nostalgia. Expect to see this pattern plastered all over your feed. I’m wearing a sunny Morgan De Toi piece that I got from @foreveramira600 on Depop.

A person jumping in the air

Epigram/Tshokey Mindara

How are you getting groovy with the retro return this season?

Featured image: Epigram/Morgan Collins

Check out The Croft Magazine on Instagram for some more stylish content!