Staying warm in style

The Croft Magazine // Hannah gives us tips on how to equip ourselves for the cold weather with garms to turn heads.

By Hannah Griffiths, Second Year Liberal Arts

If like me, you live in a draughty student house with mates who determinedly refuse to ever turn the heating on, you’ll know the struggles of fighting over the blanket or having to wear five layers around the house and looking like the Michelin Man. However, this is the perfect opportunity to turn your sweatpants or cosy fleece into a killer outfit and win at the layering look.

Long Sleeves:

Long-sleeved t-shirts are a lifesaver for cold days. Simple but very effective, they can give any baggy tee an added ‘oomph’ and are an incredibly easy way of adding an extra layer to your outfit without the extra bulk. Plain black or white tops are super versatile and will go under literally anything.

Ribbed turtleneck top in white, £9.99 | H&M
A picture containing person, wall, indoor

Description automatically generated
Epigram/Hannah Griffiths

Loungewear:

Another lockdown means we’re stuck inside our cold houses, and what better way to stay cosy and comfy than a tracksuit. And not just any tracksuit – a Juicy Couture tracksuit. Our newfound love of sweatpants and all things comfort has brought back this early 2000s trend, perfectly in time for the brand’s 25th anniversary. It may not be the most agreeable for a student budget, but a Juicy tracksuit is the perfect way of keeping cosy whilst turning heads (not to mention a complete flex for your Sainsbury’s shopping trip).

A picture containing wall, person, trouser

Description automatically generated
Juicy Couture UO Exclusive Embossed Velour Blue Zip-Through Hoodie, £75, and Velour Blue Flare Track Pants, £65 | Urban Outfitters

Animal Print:

I can never get enough of the animal print trend, and I honestly hope it never dies. My favourite pieces are my gorgeous thrifted faux-fur jacket, perfect for these chilly days, and my Urban Outfitters velvet wide-leg trousers, so warm and flattering. Statement pieces like these are brilliant if you want to for feeling fancy and pretending you haven’t been lounging in the same pair of grey trackies for multiple consecutive days. Pair with some chunky platform trainers or a black boot.

Zoven Trouser in 90's Zebra Black and White
Zoven Trouser in 90s Zebra Black and White, £48 | Motel Rocks
A picture containing wall, person

Description automatically generated
Epigram/Hannah Griffiths
A picture containing person, standing

Description automatically generated
Analia Ombre Leopard Jacket, £80 | French Connection
A person with long blonde hair

Description automatically generated with medium confidence
Epigram/Hannah Griffiths

Puffer Jackets:

We can’t talk about outerwear without giving a mention to our favourite jacket, The North Face Puffer. You can’t walk down a Bristol street without catching a glimpse of one, they’re the ideal toasty garment for your daily lockdown walk. My flatmate even wears his around the house – yes, it genuinely is that cold.  The current favourite is the chocolate brown, the shade which seems to be at the height of fashion this winter. Cop one off Ebay to avoid that hefty price tag.

Old But Gold Vintage The North Face Brown Puffer Coat, £147.99 | ASOS Marketplace - get 20% off with code GRAB20

So, there you have it - some top tips to help you stay warm in style!

TV's most stylish series through the ages
Depop gems

Featured top: Epigram/Morgan Collins

Check out The Croft Magazine on Instagram for some more stylish content!