Bristol SU officer elected NUS Vice-President of Higher Education

Hillary Gyebi-Ababio, Bristol SU’s Undergraduate Education Officer, has been elected as Vice President of Higher Education [VPHE] for the NUS.

By, Sabrina miller, Opinion Editor

Hillary Gyebi-Ababio, Bristol SU’s 2019-20 Undergraduate Education Officer, has been elected as Vice-President of Higher Education (VPHE) for the NUS.

In the two-year long role of VPHE, Hillary will be responsible for representing all students in higher education on a national level, as well as supporting all University students' unions in the UK.

Hillary's campaign picture | Courtesy of Hillary Gyebi-Ababio

Beating three other candidates, Hillary was elected alongside Larissa Kennedy, from Warwick SU (President) and Salsabeel Elemegri, from Bradford College Students Union (VP Further Education).

Hillary won the election with 275 first preference votes, over 200 more than the second-place candidate.

In her acceptance speech Hillary was quick to thank all students that supported her campaign stating that her 'whole campaign, this whole experience has been living proof that when we, as students, come together to fight for students, we can do anything'.

In a statement to Epigram Hillary said: 'It is an honour to be elected as the new Vice President Higher Education of our new and reformed NUS.

The fact that students all over the country have trusted me with this role is a sign of how much there is a need for a NUS that puts students at the heart of all it does. I am committed to ensuring that every student, regardless of background, circumstance or identity is heard, seen and cared for.

This is going to be an exciting time for the student movement, and the beginning of a new and revitalised NUS.'

Featured image: Hillary Gyebi-Ababio

Are you going to run to be on the NUS team next year?