UoB Coronavirus Update: 'If you want to go home, please do.'

The latest update from Bristol University concerning Covid-19.

By Georgiana Scott, Investigations Editor

In an email to all UoB undergraduates,  Pro Vice-Chancellor, Sarah Purdy has told students; 'If you want to go home, please do.'

While she confirms that the end of Teaching Term remains to be Wednesday 18th March she advises; 'Don't feel you need to wait until then.'

She added, 'If you do go home, please remember to take with you any resources or materials you need to help you study and, just in case, to enable you to prepare for and take assessments.'

Classroom teaching to be cancelled from Wednesday due to coronavirus

The update follows an announcement from Boris Johnson this morning, urging all UK citizens to avoid non-essential social contact and travel.

Sarah Purdy reassured; 'Your welfare is our highest priority. We are making extensive plans to deal with this extraordinary situation, and we will continue to do whatever is necessary to protect our community as best we can.

'...We still intend to begin the Summer Term on Monday 20 April 2020 (this date may differ for students on some programmes), but we will keep you updated about any changes to this or any other arrangements.'

In the email, she also provides students with a link and instructions on how to download and use Skype for Business Online, in preparation for online teaching.

Bristol University confirmed on 12th March that a UoB first year has tested positive for Covid-19 after returning to Bristol from abroad. Any additional cases are yet to be announced.

Featured Image: Epigram / Patrick Sullivan

Will you wait until Wednesday to go home? Let us know in the comments.