UoB student tests positive for Coronavirus

Following the release of a statement by Bristol City Council, Epigram can now confirm that a Bristol University student has been diagnosed with coronavirus. This student is believed to be a first year medical student, living in Orchard Heights.

By Georgiana Scott, Investigations Editor and Maddy Russell, News Editor

The student is believed to have contracted the virus after returning to Bristol from abroad

Following the release of a statement by Bristol City Council, Epigram can now confirm that a Bristol University student has been diagnosed with coronavirus.

This student is believed to be a first year medical student, living in Orchard Heights halls of accomodation.

Flatmates, who have been in close contact with the student are believed to have been advised by the University to self-isolate for the next 14 days.

| University warns students of coronavirus travel risks over Easter holidays

In a statement, Christina Gray, Director of Public Health for Bristol City Council, said: 'We can confirm a positive case of COVID-19 at the University of Bristol. We are working closely with the university to manage the situation and reduce further risk.

'Close contacts will be given health advice about symptoms and emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case. This tried and tested method will ensure any risk to them and the wider public can be minimised.

'Further cases of COVID-19 are expected in Bristol as we see rises in diagnoses across the UK. We are fully prepared for this. We are working with city partners in the NHS and health and social care teams to contain the virus spread, and help the public understand what they can do to avoid catching the virus.

'Good hygiene is the best prevention and there are some simple steps you can take to protect you and your family by washing your hands regularly and thoroughly and if you cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue.

'If you have recently been to one of the affected areas and are feeling unwell, you should use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service or call NHS 111 for further advice straight away – please don’t go to your doctor or a hospital. There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.'

| Students may have to take summer exams online amid concerns over coronavirus

Pro-Vice Chancellor, Sarah Purdy previously told Epigram that to prevent an outbreak on campus, whole halls could be self-isolating and that the University has already begun preparations for this by buying take-away boxes to deliver food to students.  

More to follow...

You can find advice from the University to its staff and students here.

Featured Image: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

What do you think the University's response to this should be? Let us know.