The cheapest and costliest sports clubs

By Maggie Sawant, Students' Union Correspondent

On average, it costs £77 to be a member of performance teams at the 45 clubs analysed at Bristol University.

Alternatively, more casual memberships at the same clubs average at £32.

Here is a breakdown of the most expensive and the cheapest sports societies at the University:

Sport on a budget

You can join the Weightlifting Society, the Taekwondo Society, or become a social Tennis player for only £10 per year - making them the cheapest sports societies to join!

The Weightlifting, Taekwondo and social Tennis are the cheapest memberships

Following closely behind is the Orienteering Society, where an annual membership is £15.

The only other societies you can join for less than £25 are Ultimate Frisbee, at a cost of £20, or the Surf Society, for £22.

Sport on the pricier side

Unsurprisingly, the most expensive sports clubs to join are those with high prestige and standards.

The highest annual sports society membership is that of the University of Bristol Boat Club, which costs £450 for rowers and half-price for coxes.

In addition to the annual fees, members also had the option in 2018/19 to pay £330 for a club blazer.

Rowers were given the option to purchase a club blazer for £330 in 2018/19

The next highest is UoB Golf Club, where membership will set you back £265. This is because, while society membership is £25, it requires a £240 annual membership at Bristol and Clifton Golf Club.

Coming in as third most expensive is the Men's Rugby Club, at £250, closely followed by the £200 fee members of the Men's Football Club pay.

Joining the Netball Club or the Sailing Club will set you back £150 per year.

American Football, meanwhile, has annual fees of £135, whereas the Tennis Club, despite its cheap social memberships, charges £130 for first team members.

Featured: Unsplash / Josephine Gasser

Do you plan on becoming a member of a sports society? If not, why not? Let Epigram know!