University respond to JCR committee letter with apologies and improvements

Mark Ames, Director of Student Services at the University of Bristol, is ‘confident’ the issues former JCR committees have with ResiLife system are resolved for the coming year.

By Patrick Sullivan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In an open letter published in Epigram, a group of students, who were part of varying 2018/19 JCR committees, commended the extra pastoral support ResiLife provided but criticised the University’s handling of the transition with regards to organising their events.

In response, the University have said they are ‘keen to learn from and build on existing good practice’. There is a review planned with relevant student consultation and they are ‘confident’ the same issues will not occur this academic year.

The open letter was written by student representatives from the JCR committees of the following halls: Clifton Hill House, Manor Hall, Northwell House, Orchard Heights, Winkworth Hall. They were the first group of junior residents to work with ResiLife system, which was introduced in September 2018. The four main issues raised by the group were the ‘endless forms’, a lack of clarity in roles and training, JCRs being unable to amend constitutions, and a lack of support setting up banking systems.

The full letter can be read here.

'It is clear to us that what some called "teething problems" were deep-rooted issues and for this reason, we urge fundamental changes.'

Posted by Epigram on Saturday, 28 September 2019

Mark Ames, Director of Student Services, gave the following statement:

‘We are pleased to note the JCR members represented in this letter have recognised the great work our Residential Life Service has achieved in the past 12 months in providing pastoral support to our students.

‘In turn, we also recognise the importance of effectively supporting student residents to organise the events and activities which enrich Residential Life.

'We recognise the importance of effectively supporting student residents to organise the events and activities which enrich Residential Life.'
Mark Ames, Director of Student Services

‘We understand that the current model of supporting student led events and activities can sometimes feel unduly burdensome; including documenting the planning for activities, setting up bank accounts, and working within the current JCR constitutional arrangements.

‘We know there were delays in getting financial systems in place last year in the transition to the ResiLife model. The legal and financial complexities proved to be more significant than we had anticipated, and we apologise for that. As this was a transitional issue, we are confident it won’t be repeated this year.

'The legal and financial complexities proved to be more significant than we had anticipated, and we apologise for that.'
Mark Ames, Director of Student Services

‘The Heads and Deputy Heads of Residential Life are the primary contacts for JCRs within each village and committed to developing effective working relationships with students and their elected representatives. Although we recognise the concerns raised here, there has also been some very successful partnership working with JCRs.

‘We are therefore keen to learn from and build on existing good practice. We are already planning a review of the current arrangements involving student residents and their representatives to further improve the residential life experience for all our students. We are very happy to meet with JCR reps to discuss this at the earliest opportunity.’

Featured Image: Epigram / Hannah Worthington

How have your experiences been with ResiLife so far this year? Let us know!