Why South West Seal Pups Cold Water Swimming is great

10:00am, Sunday morning. The sky is clear, and the air is brisk. At a nice 5 degrees Celsius, a merry group of Bristol swimming enthusiasts make their way down to the fresh cool water at Clevedon Marine Lake.

By Felix Rusby, Third Year English Literature student

10:00am, Sunday morning. The sky is clear, and the air is brisk. At a nice 5 degrees Celsius, a merry group of Bristol swimming enthusiasts make their way down to the fresh cool water at Clevedon Marine Lake. Towels are laid out; warm coats are removed, and the pups are ready. That’s right, they’re going to swim!

To many it might seem mad: ‘why would I willingly paddle around in chilly waters, when it’s hard enough keeping warm in my freezing student house’ I hear you say. Well, my humble reader, you may be surprised to know, that the benefits of cold-water swimming are massive. Studies show that contrary to popular belief, exposing yourself to cold waters helps build a strong immune system by boosting your white blood cell count. Some of the other benefits also include, increased circulation, increased fertility and libido, reduced stress and high calorie burning. So, in short, it’s pretty great.

So, what is it all about? Well, last year, two passionate cold-water swimmers, Amelia Atkinson and Leo Nidas, decided it was high time they shared their love of outdoor swimming with Bristol and its students. A Facebook group was set up, some organising was organised and with that, the South West Seal Pups were born. The idea is pretty simple, all sorts of people: students, businessmen, athletes and sloths gather together and go to swim. There are various locations, Clevedon Marine Lake is perhaps the most popular, but other options include the more local Abbotts Pool over the suspension bridge, to slightly longer drives to Portishead, Cromhall and Henleaze.

Since it was founded the Seal Pups’ following has grown rapidly. The swimming group, unlike many Bristol societies, is not run through the SU, which gives it the added benefit of being free - at least for most locations - and open to all. Spread by word of mouth through the Bristol many, it has been amazing to discover how many secret cold-water enthusiasts have sprung out of the woodwork, ready dive in to the open water experience.

‘Ok then, you’ve got my attention’, I hear you quibble, ‘but what is this swimming business really like and how do I get involved?’ ‘Well, funny that you should ask that’, I profusely reply, ‘that was just what I intended to explain next.’ One of the many wonderful things about cold water swimming, is how easy it to join. Just paddle on over to Facebook and search for the South West Seal Pups, once you’ve clicked on the page just hit join and you’ll be part of the group.

What’s great about the pups is that joining the group is so much more than a splash in a pool. What you’re really joining, if you’ll pardon the cliché, is a big friendly family. There are so many different kinds of people that like to swim, but what’s common about all those who are part of the pups, is their friendly and upbeat demeanour.

Maybe it’s the fresh air and vitalising waters, or maybe it’s the bubbly energy of the founders Amelia and Leo. Whatever it is, though, the water may be cold but the atmosphere amongst the South West Seal Pups is most definitely very warm!

Featured image by Leo Nidas and Amelia Atkinson

Fancy taking the icy plunge? Let us know how it goes!

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter