Community organisation Bristol Bike Project celebrates ten years

Founded to help those marginalised by society by teaching them new skills and providing them with an upcycled bike, the Bristol Bike Project celebrated its tenth birthday last weekend at Hamilton House.

By Olivia Duggan, Third Year, Theology

Created by co-founders Colin Fan and James Lucas, the Bristol Bike Project was originally a small enterprise, run from a back garden. Its aim is ‘helping people help themselves’ as clients not only receive the finished product, but also assist in the bike repair, gaining workshop skills in the process.

Bristol Bike Project is helped by many student volunteers, particularly at DIY workshops such as Women's Night and Bike Kitchen. Students have also benefited from the project by buying refurbished second-hand bikes, an affordable and more sustainable alternative to buying a new.

Since starting, the project has reached many people, re-homing 2,000 bikes. It now welcomes 170 volunteers and works alongside 60 organisations such as Bristol Refugee Rights.

James Lucas, one of the two co-founders, says, ‘I feel extremely privileged to have met so many amazing people at the Project over the last ten years and hope that it continues to flourish!’

Sean, who was referred by Bristol Drugs Project back in 2010 is now a volunteer and says how the project was ‘such an important part of my recovery’.

‘The bike keeps me clean. But the best thing about this place is that it is immediately welcoming. Anyone who has been an addict will know just how important it is to be accepted in that way.’

The Bristol Bike Project is an organisation which aims to help underprivileged groups of people. Bikes are donated, repaired then gifted to people who need them such as refugees, women, young people and homeless. All profits support the projects community work.

Featured Image: Bristol Bike Project

Have you been involved with the Bristol Bike Project? Let us know!