Benefactors' Report reveals the impact of University alumni funding

The report for 2017/18 has been released by the University, showing the quantitative results of benefactor donations.

By Zoë Crowther, Students' Union Correspondent

The University formally thanked 5669 UoB donors, from 38 different countries, for contributing £2.3m for campus developments.

It was stated that 37 PhD students in total were supported last academic year by alumni funding, as well as 43 sports clubs. Donors also funded 159 scholarships and bursaries. These scholarships include the new Think Big scholarship, which assists with the fee payments of some international students and the Sanctuary Scholarships, which aim to provide HE opportunities for refugees and asylum seekers.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-15-at-11.52.36
Image by: Epigram / Zoë Crowther

The University invited alumni to visit and see how their support has been furthering research and developments. Examples included students who had benefited from sporting scholarships and family members of those who could be helped by medical research.

In the report, Vice Chancellor Hugh Brady said ‘Bristol’s power is people: it’s people who make the research breakthroughs that put us on the world map, it’s talented people who come from all over the world to study with us, and people – like you – who support the University.

‘It’s people like you who make our University so special – your donations, expertise, and involvement are incredibly valuable. This report is just one way of saying thank you, and my opportunity to add my personal thanks to you.’

Featured Image: Steve Johnson / Unsplash

Have you benefitted from donor funding? Let us know: