University to recruit Pro Vice-Chancellor for Student Experience

The University of Bristol is recruiting for a new senior role which will focus on student experience, engagement and 'lead on the development of the University Strategy on Student Mental Health'.

By Ed Southgate, co-Editor in Chief

Professor Hugh Brady, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bristol, said: 'The new PVC Student Experience will be the academic member of the University's senior management team with overall responsibility for the holistic student experience - the experience of students outside of the classroom.

'Important aspects of the Pro Vice-Chancellor's portfolio will include playing a leading role in community building; coordination of the University's health and wellbeing strategy; liaison with Bristol Students’ Union on matters of concern to the students; and serving as a champion for the student experience at the top level of University management.'

According to the job description, this new role ' is a reflection of the University’s commitment to providing a highly positive, engaged and rounded experience to each individual student.'

The majority of the role's purposes, according to the job description, revolve around the student experience and wellbeing, whilst also focusing on student engagement and student inclusion.

It will be the academic lead for strategic University developments in postgraduate and undergraduate student experience; provide expert strategic advice to the Vice-Chancellor and Board of Trustees on the student experience at Bristol, and lead on the development of the University Strategy on Student Mental Health, Wellbeing and Resilience; work closely with the PVC (Education) to develop and align Student Experience Strategy, including student wellbeing and voice and inclusion initiatives, within the wider Education Strategy; chair the University Student Experience Committee; and commission research to inform the development and delivery of student experience enhancement initiatives.

For student engagement, the role will include liaising with Bristol SU, providing oversight of the All Bristol Student Fora, and academic leadership of the course representative system.

(Epigram / Cameron Scheijde)

It will also be the academic lead for student inclusion, overseeing strategic developments supporting the transition of students from under-represented backgrounds and those with protected characteristics to the University of Bristol and fostering an inclusive community to ensure that students can succeed once they are enrolled at the University.

The new role will work with the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Education in monitoring measures of student satisfaction in relation to student wellbeing, inclusion and voice.

Bristol SU Union Affairs Officer said: 'I’m personally really glad that the University is recruiting this role. It’s not just degrees that are important at university, and having a designated lead on student experience - everything from mental health to extracurricular activity - is an important step.

'For this role to succeed it’s so important that the Pro Vice-Chancellor is empathetic and student focused, but also that students are familiar with the role and able to engage in dialogue and hold them to account. My hope is that this senior staff member can work together with our students and the SU to make everything outside the classroom the best it can be.'

Epigram can confirm that there will be student representation during the interview process for this role, as there has been for the recent interviews for Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

Featured Image: Epigram / Cameron Scheijde

What do you think about this new role? Let us know...