QS World Rankings 2019: Bristol remains 9th in UK, slips to 51st in world

The University of Bristol has retained its UK top-ten status in the most recent international university ratings. The QS world rankings 2019 placed Bristol 9th in the UK, the same as last year, and 51st in the world, a fall of seven places.

The QS world rankings take into account several factors including academic reputation, citations per faculty, employer reputation, and student and international faculties.

Bristol scored 9th position after Oxford and Cambridge, the London Universities of Imperial, UCL, LSE and King's, and the Universities of Manchester and Edinburgh.

Bristol came 51st in the world, a fall from their 44th position secured last year, but still beating some big names including Brown University and the University of Washington in the US and the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Bristol was also awarded the highest "5+" star rating by the QS Stars system, a system in which "universities are evaluated in dozens of indicators across at least eight categories. After the assessment, universities are awarded with an overall Star result which ranges from 0 to 5+ Stars, depending on the number of points achieved through the evaluation". The star rating is used to identity which Universities are the best in certain topics.

The University of Edinburgh scored just above Bristol to win 5th UK spot and 18th position worldwide (Epigram/Cameron Scheijde)

The University also gained five stars in the following ratings: teaching, research, internationalisation, employability, facilities, innovation and inclusiveness.

Continue reading: University tables, what do they all mean?

What do you think about Bristol's rating?