A response to the tragic student deaths at our university

0

FULL ARTICLE

Reflecting on his own experiences with mental health problems, incoming Co-Editor in Chief Ed Southgate responds to the tragic news that three students are suspected to have taken their lives in just three weeks.

An article of this nature is never easy to write. It is never easy to know what to say, nor how to say it. Whilst this may be one of the hardest, if not the most personal, of articles I have written during my time at Epigram, it is certainly one of the most important.

Our University community has been shaken in recently by the news that three students are believed to have taken their own lives within the space of just three weeks, with each death hitting us just as hard as the last.

This news hits me on a deeply personal level. As a sixth former, I too came close to taking my life. Burdened by pressures to achieve highly, to discover who I am as a person, and to find meaning in my own life, I found it hard to see a future that did not have all colour removed from it.

I was fortunate enough to have had an amazing support network surrounding me, to bring me back from the edge and to show me that there was colour in my life and my future. With support from my friends, my family, and crucially the experienced staff at my Sixth Form and professionally-trained staff at my local mental health services, my life was saved.

Each time we hear of another tragic student death, I can hardly begin to express the pain I feel, the upset and the anger that emerges within me. Although I did not know these individuals, nor the pain that they suffered, I do know how much it takes to be pushed into the darkness that makes you truly believe that there is no way out.

I feel upset, shocked, angry that these students did not have the support network that I did to bring them back. I mention above that I was ‘fortunate enough’ to have had a great support network which saved my life, but no-one’s life should be in the hands of ‘fortune’ and anyone who is suffering should be able to access support as soon as they may need it.

It is unforgivable to think that the necessary support was not there for these students. I have resisted seeking help when I have been struggling again whilst at University for fear that I will be taking a place on the already-long waiting lists from someone who may need it more. To think that many other students may also be in this situation is unforgivable. Our University is removing Wardens and Deputy Wardens from our Halls of Residence. To many these provide the only sense of community and are one of the only friendly faces that we may feel comfortable approaching whilst in first year. Removing them, and removing the personable quality to our Halls, is unforgivable.

I should not forget to mention that Senior Tutors, personal tutors, and unit tutors are, in my experience, always there to support us and can be truly exceptional - although this is just my experience of them, and I know this is not always the case for every student. Regardless, not all of our tutors are trained to deal with these issues; if we want the students to be supported, we need to have people who know how to support us.

Our University needs to ensure that support is there for us whenever we may need it. We need to focus on preventative action, as opposed to being reactive when it may be too late. We need to get rid of waiting lists completely so anyone who needs help can seek it, and we need to build and maintain personal relationships with the student body so that anyone who needs help feels comfortable seeking it. We need our University to show its students that it truly cares about us.

We come to University looking forwards the prospect of broadening our intellectual horizons, of meeting new people from all walks of life, of finding ourselves in a new independent environment. As exciting as this may be, the transition is not necessarily easy, it is not necessarily a straight forward path, and we must be supported in this.

The pain that these students must have been feeling is unimaginable. Our University must come together, in order to remember those students who have died and ensure no one else must suffer in silence. The forthcoming march for better mental health services will be a fitting tribute to this end.

Most people who are thinking of taking their own life have shown warning signs beforehand.
These can include becoming depressed, showing sudden changes in behaviour, talking about wanting to die and feelings of hopelessness.  These feelings do improve and can be treated.

If you are concerned about someone, or need help yourself, please contact the Samaritans on 116 123.

Other student support services include:
Young Minds https://youngminds.org.uk/ 0808 802 5544
Nightline https://www.nightline.ac.uk/want-to-talk/
Papyrus https://www.papyrus-uk.org/ 0800 068 41 41
Student Minds http://www.studentminds.org.uk/findsupport.html

AUTHOR

Ed Southgate

Co-Editor in Chief 2018-2019 / Editor of Epigram Comment 2017-2018 / Second Year English student

COMMENTS