Henry Edwards takes a look at the continued success for the University's cycling club, examining three stand out performers.

Seemingly as always, the University of Bristol Cycling Club has experienced great success as of late. Where to start? Well, I imagine not even the terrible recent weather has been enough to wipe the smile of Kate Mactear, who came an incredible first in the female Frome 10 mile time trial. Her final time of 24 minutes and 58 seconds, recorded on 18th February, meant that her average speed for 10 miles stood at just over 24 miles an hour – a rapid pace. Kate plays an active role in the University’s triathlon performance squad, and says that she received valuable support from them leading up to her winning time trial result.

Bit premature but whatever. Maybe he couldn’t see the line #winnerwinner #bscc #stilla3rdcat

A post shared by katemactear (@katemactear) on

Of course, it’s not only Kate who’s been finding individual and collective success with the UOBCC. On 24th February, Club President Freddy Carlton achieved second place in the senior men’s category of the SAS open 10 mile time trial in Iron Acton. His time of 23 minutes and 22 seconds must have taken some beating. Furthermore, yet another Bristolian cyclist, James Pittard, came third in that same category, with a time of 23 minutes and 53 seconds. The UOBCC also won the team prize for the event in question, which I suppose puts the cherry on the icing on the cake.

Last but definitely not least, University of Bristol cyclist Rebekah Nash claimed second place in the overall rankings for the total winter racing series at Odd Down. This, in President Carlton’s own words, represents ‘a massive achievement.’ Indeed it does.

With the superb start the club has made to this season, Mactear’s prophetic assessment may just prove to be a huge understatement.

Looking forward, UOBCC are expecting further triumphs heading into spring, as the BUCS time trials edge closer. With 10 mile, 25 mile and team time trials, the UOBCC stands, in Kate Mactear’s opinion, ‘a pretty good chance to get a medal and BUCS points.’ However, with the superb start the club has made to this season, Mactear’s prophetic assessment may just prove to be a huge understatement.

For any additional news and photographs regarding the UOBCC, make sure you visit the club’s Facebook page. There you can browse photos, watch videos and generally learn more about the successes of Bristol’s student cyclists.

Featured photo: Facebook / University of Bristol Cycling Club

Follow the club's social media for updates.

Facebook // Epigram Sport // Twitter