SU officer elections: Meet the Sport and Student Development Officer candidates

Voting for next year's SU officer positions opens tomorrow (Tuesday 13th March). Epigram interviewed the candidates running the various positions. Meet the people you can vote for as Sport and Student Development Officer!

Meet the candidates:
Image Credit: Epigram / Hannah Wakefield

Name: Ginny Troughton
Position: Sports and Student Development Officer
Course: Zoology
Year: 3

Why are you the best candidate?
I believe I am the best candidate because of my roles as Club Captain of Women’s Rugby last year and chair of the Sports Network this year. These roles mean that I have a clear picture of university sport how it is currently, where it should go, and how to get there. I have also worked closely with the current Sports and Student Development Officer this year which has given me an insight into how the role works.

What one thing do you want to see changed throughout university?
The thing I want to see changed starts in the gym. It is typically male-dominated and can be very intimidating, especially if you struggle with confidence or body image. I think that a cultural shift needs to happen everywhere, and that the gym is a good place to start. I also want the unequal ratios in club sports also needs to be addressed.

What have you enjoyed most about Bristol?
The thing I’ve enjoyed most during my time at Bristol is playing rugby and the friends and support network I have got from it. We have a lot in common and I don’t think I would have got such close friends from any other setting.

What's your favourite Bristol night out?
Sports' night on a Wednesday!

Name: Isaac Haigh
Course: Chemistry
Year: 3

Why are you the best candidate?
What makes me the best candidate for the role is my own personal experience suffering from depression and anxiety. I found it difficult to get into sport myself, and so I wanted to make sport more accessible for all students, and so I proposed a motion at the recent AMM to set up Be ManKind Active (a male equivalent to Fit and Fab), which would be an affordable and non-judgemental space for exercise, focusing on mental health.

One thing I want to see changed is for sport to be made more affordable, for cheaper We Are Bristol passes, for clubs to receive funding they need and so can lower membership prices, and to make the hardship fun available all year round so that everyone can have the opportunity to get involved, and to increase participation on the whole.

The thing I’ve enjoyed most about Bristol has been all the various ways I’ve distracted myself from my course! I have had so many unique opportunities, for example in the past I have run casinos for charity, and I have applied to do jailbreak!

It used to be Lola Lo’s but has recently changed to Lounge!

Featured Image Credit: Bristol SU

Who do you plan to vote for in the election?