UK Garage, Clubs and Crazy Frog – Artist in Spotlight: Gemi

Epigram Music puts the spotlight on the artists you should be listening to. In this edition, we focus on UK Garage artist Gemi. If you aren't already listening, then why not?

By Josh Templeman, Co-Deputy Music Editor

London-based DJ and producer Gemi is making some serious waves right now. One of the leading lights in modern UK Garage, Gemi has been shelling clubs up and down the country, dropping some of the nuttiest dubs in the scene right now along the way. To put it simply, if you don’t know – then get to know.

UK Garage has seen a meteoric resurgence in the past few years and Gemi is reaching its upper echelons. Appearing on line-ups alongside UKG heavyweights like Sammy Virji and Conducta, he has quickly proven himself as one of the most talented in the scene. Channelling heavy influence from old-school garage, Gemi has been able to consolidate his own signature sound, using iconic vocal chops and groovy beats that won’t let you stand still.

Credit: Melissa Gardner

Having been blessed by the Spotify algorithm around the release of one of his first few tracks on the platform, ‘Akira’, I’ve been following Gemi for a while now. Having become quickly obsessed with his tunes, he even managed to sneak into my Spotify Wrapped last year. It seems like I’m not the only one with this belief. Gemi has now released three editions of his Gemi Tapes series, which he’s conveniently compiled onto one project entitled Gemi Tapes Complete, to rave reviews, alongside a whole lot more madness over on his Soundcloud.

Music is meant to be fun and that’s exactly what Gemi brings. The London-based producer has dropped some of the filthiest dubs I’ve come across, including of the likes of Katy Perry’s ‘California Girls’, Kylie Minogue’s ‘Spinning Around’ and, perhaps most insane, the Crazy Frog theme tune. I can promise you, there are very few things that match the euphoria of hearing ‘Frog Dub’ blast through a sound system in a club.

Gemi · frog dub

Though the UK Garage scene perhaps isn’t the biggest in Bristol, often forced into the backseat by genres like drum & bass and jungle, Gemi is no stranger to the Bristol music scene. Having performed here twice this year, at both The Lanes and Crofter’s Rights, as well as on a curated line-up by Salute at Motion last year, it’s clear Bristol can’t get enough of him. Gemi has also worked with various Bristol-based artists, including DJ and vocalist Charli Brix as well as with prolific bassline DJ and producer Notion.

With the UK Garage revival continuing at full force, we can only hope that it’s able to grip the Bristol music scene with all its might. However, with Gemi spearheading the genre's revival, don’t be surprised if that’s just what happens. Promoters, get at him ASAP.

Featured image: Melissa Gardner

Will you be listening to Gemi?