This Week in Numbers

Welcome to the first 'This week in numbers' - Epigram's first stab at data journalism.

Mark Ross, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Using data collected from you, the readers, this weekly update shows you what Bristol students really think.

No longer do you have to write a feature length article to express your opinion. Just respond to our polls (online and, soon, in-person around campus) to make your voice heard.

This week's theme is the 'return to university'. We've asked students about their priorities, worries and expectations for the upcoming year.

So what do the numbers say this week?

The new Chancellor's to-do list

Professor Evelyn Welsh will begin her role as the new Vice-Chancellor of Bristol University in September, and she will be busy from the off.

With a plethora of issues to deal with (from environmental and cost of living crises, to over-priced lattes in the Source Cafe), Welsh will have to decide what problems to fix first.

45 per cent of you believe that tackling the student housing shortage should be the first item on her agenda. Improving wellbeing services is almost as important, with 39 per cent of readers voting for it to be her top priority instead.

Either way, Professor Welsh's inbox will be as overflowing as a student recyling bin. Good luck to her.

Cutting the cost of living

The University should help its students to manage the increasing costs of living. If basic decency isn't a good enough reason for this, then the Uni should remember that supporting students will allow us to study and, thus, to pay our fees. Win Win.

But how should the University help?

16 per cent of respondents stated that the University should lobby, or collaborate with, local government. This could be in order to implement accommodation price controls, or to push for subsidised travel in Bristol.

Talking of travel, 51 per cent said that the University should reduce the prices of its services, such as University-run busses. Although students asking for discounts is far from unheard of, small changes like these could cumulatively ease the pressure on students' wallets.

But as universities' domestic-fee incomes are eroded by inflation, the new Vice-Chancellor will have to make cuts in other areas in order to meet these funding demands.

The students have had their say this week. If you'd like to make your voice heard, get involved with our social media polls and let us know what you really think.

See you next week!

If you have any burning questions that you'd like us to ask for next week, please get in touch @epigrampaper_ on Instagram, or message one of the team.

See you next week!