Hidden gems: A guide to alternative study spaces in Bristol

Want to avoid endlessly searching through Senate House for study spaces? Or perhaps squeezing yourself in between two strangers in the Wills Memorial Library? Try these places instead.

By Anya Dixon, Second Year Classical Studies

As we settle back into term after reading week, campus is lively and bustling with students once again. Unfortunately, this means finding somewhere to study on campus can be a challenge. Want to avoid endlessly searching through Senate House for study spaces? Or perhaps squeezing yourself in between two strangers in the Wills Memorial Library? Try these places instead.

Sotiris Greek Bakery

16 Park Row, Bristol BS1 5LJ

Kicking this off with a quaint little Greek bakery not too far from campus. With its delicious baked goods, colourful decor and ample places to sit, this bakery will become your next go-to study space. It’s usually quiet on a day-to-day basis, and the staff are friendly. Ease the stress of studying with some baklava!

Arnofini Café Bar

16 Narrow Quay, Bristol BS1 4QA

Located  right on the harbourside is the Arnofini Café Bar – a picturesque place both inside and out. Why not make the most of the scenic views of the harbour to boost your cafe study session. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options available too!

Bristol’s Botanical Garden

Stoke Park Rd, Stoke Bishop, Bristol BS9 1JG

Just as scenic as the harbourside is the Bristol Botanical Gardens – a lovely area full of plants and nature, hidden away from the city life. The cosy cafe is the perfect spot for some coffee and studying, and a stroll around the gardens makes for a relaxing study break. And the best part? Bristol students get free entry.

Flickr / Matthew Black

The Commercial Rooms: J D Wetherspoons

43-54 Corn Street, Bristol BS1 1HT

Although its infamously cheap alcohol makes Wetherspoons a classic place for pre-drinks, The Commercial Rooms, a historical building, is a surprisingly good study spot. With a free coffee refill system, come during the day to make the most of unlimited coffee to power you through your work! (Plus, if you get too stressed you can always order a pint.)

Bag of Nails

141 St George's Rd, Hotwells, Bristol BS1 5UW

Last but not least is Bag of Nails. This ordinary looking pub hides a furry secret: cats. Providing animal therapy and well priced soft drinks, this is a great place to snuggle up and get your reading done.

Bristol on a Budget: A fresher’s low-cost living guide
The cost-of-living is threatening pub culture: How much would you pay for a pint?

With Bristol’s array of cafes and pubs, choosing an overcrowded study room on campus doesn’t have to be the only option!

Featured image: Flickr / Steve Keiretsu

What are your favourite study spots in Bristol?