Bristol on a Budget: A fresher’s low-cost living guide

From making new friends to navigating the nightlife, moving to a new city is difficult enough without worrying about the cost. As the academic year commences, Epigram has compiled a non-exhaustive list of some of the city’s best spots that won’t break the bank.

By Alice Loughran, Third Year Music Student

From making new friends to navigating the nightlife, moving to a new city is difficult enough without worrying about the cost. As Fresher’s week dawns on us, Epigram has compiled a non-exhaustive list of some of the city’s best spots that won’t break the bank.

Getting the Bristol look

With a recognisable student fashion, charity shopping is a rite of passage for new Bristol students. What could be more trendy than buying affordable pre-loved fashion for a good cause? You can find plenty of charity shops on Cotham Hill, Gloucester Road and Clifton Village. It is a great way to spend an afternoon with new friends, and sustainably kit out your wardrobe. Our top five include:

Mind, Cotham Hill, BS6 6LA

Cancer Research, Queens Rd, BS8 1QP

Mary’s Living and Giving for Save the Children, Regent St, BS8 4HG

St Peter’s Hospice Shop, Boyce’s Ave, BS8 4AA

Tenovus, Gloucester Rd, BS7 8BG

Flickr / Sam Saunders

Feeding the 20,000

There are over 20,000 undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Bristol, so you will be spoilt for choice for student deals and offers. From a quick snack between lectures to a fancy meal with your parents, the city has it all. Whiteladies Road, Queens Road and Wapping Wharf are filled with options. Some favourite affordable eateries include:

Eat A Pitta, Queens Rd, BS8 1QE, some of the best falafels in Bristol

Parsons, Saint Michael’s Hill, BS2 8HD - a coffee and cake your library study break

HubBox, Whiteladies Rd, BS8 2PB - they do a great veggie burger too!

Sandwich Sandwich, Queens Rd, BS8 1QE - the biggest sandwiches in the south west

Rubicon Too, Cotham Hill, BS6 6LF - the perfect student brunch spot

Bristol is one of the most expensive cities to be a student in the UK, so Freshers’ Week events could well lighten your pockets.

Anyone fancy a pint?

The iconic question that will inevitably get asked in your flat group chat. Unfortunately, Bristol is one of the most expensive cities to be a student in the UK, so Freshers’ Week events could well lighten your pockets. Instead of declining the invite, suggest one of the following pubs and save your pennies:

The White Harte, Park Row, BS1 5LH - 30p wings on a Wednesday and £2.50 pints on a Monday

Channings, Pembroke Rd, BS8 3BB - best beer garden for a pint in the sun

The Cat and Wheel, Cheltenham Rd, BS6 5QX - great karaoke on a Thursday

The Den and Terrace, St Paul’s Rd, BS8 1LX - espresso martinis on tap

The Coronation Tap, Sion Place, BS8 4AX - try the infamous house cider, but careful, it’s very strong!

Unsplash / Becca Mchaffie

On the wagon

Whether you are alcohol-free or want a break from the Fresher’s week boozing, there are plenty of things to do in Bristol. Unfortunately, most Freshers’ week events will involve drinking and dancing, especially when the city has such a vibrant nightlife. The never-ending flyers won’t tell you that our city is blessed with many scenic walk routes in Ashton Court, Leigh Woods and The Downs. Make the most of Bristol’s rich culture and give these places a visit:

Flying Saucers pottery studio, Byron Place, BS8 1JT - get creative for the day

The Lanes bowling alley, Nelson St, BS1 2LE - grab your mates and throw a ball

Clifton Observatory viewpoint, Litfield Rd, BS8 3LT - see the iconic suspension bridge from above

Chance & Counters board game cafe, Christmas Steps, BS1 5BS - for a wholesome afternoon of coffee and board games

Arnolfini contemporary art centre, Narrow Quay, BS1 4QA - lose yourself in some modern art

Flickr / Lee

Look closer to home

As supermarket prices rocket amidst the cost of living crisis, turn your focus to local shops. Not only will you be supporting small businesses, you will also be immersing yourself in your new community. In addition, Bristol has a lot to offer all cuisines; from Asian to Eastern European food, there is something for everyone. Say goodbye to Sainsbury's and try one of these fantastic local grocery stores:

Cotham Hill Fruit & Veg, Cotham Hill, BS6 6LF - fresh seasonal products for a great price

Xin He- The Oriental Food Specialist, The Haymarket, BS1 3LN - family run Chinese supermarket providing quality ingredients

Eastern European Foods, Gloucester Rd, BS7 8TZ - ranging from meat and dairy to fresh produce and sweet treats

Preserve, 208 Gloucester Rd, BS7 8NU - plastic free shopping, complete with their own peanut butter machine

Better Food, Whiteladies Rd, BS8 2QX - organic fruit and vegetables and fair trade groceries, as well as ethical household goods and organic beer and wine

The cost-of-living crisis is threatening to worsen student wealth disparities
Freshers' 2022: A non-drinking itinerary for sober students

You shouldn’t have to compromise fun and sustainability to enjoy your new city. Make yourself at home in Bristol and, most importantly, stay out of your overdraft.

Featured Image: Unsplash / Harry Kessell

What are your favourite spots in Bristol?