February: What's On in Bristol

Perhaps you’re an avid theatre goer, a literature lover or a comedy fanatic. Whatever the case, Izzy Fraser has you covered with this list of arts events coming up over the next month in Bristol.

Inside the Anthropology Building, courtesy of Epigram

By Izzy Fraser, Second Year, English Literature

A categorised guide to just some of the great art events:

Performance

Louise Atkinson: MATES, 1st of February at Sidney and Eden
This award-winning debut comedy show that received a 5-Star review at the Edinburgh Fringe last year is coming to Bristol for just one night. Described as centred around ‘one endlessly versatile theme’, Atkinson’s show focuses on friendship, be it life-long bonds or those fleeting ones you form in nightclub toilets. You can expect a night of tongue-in-cheek, relatable humour; get your tickets here to ensure you don’t miss it.

The People’s Comedy, 2nd February at the PRSC
Winner of Best Comedy Night in the UK Outside of London (Chortle 2023), this is a comedy night focused on platforming comedians with a message, socially, politically, and culturally.
Just off Gloucester Road, ‘The Peoples Republic of Stokes Croft’ is a local organisation home to many community projects. The event is on from 7:00-10:30pm and tickets are from £7.50. Make sure to buy tickets on their website to avoid disappointment.

The Drag Dungeoneers, 6th February 6:30pm at The Crown This will be a niche night to say the least, but if drag and Dungeons and Dragons are two of your interests then this is the event for you. Drag queens play a live game of D&D in this relaxed pub setting with (optional!) audience participation. Their website says ‘bring your friends, grab a drink and get ready to start your week with an adventure’. I, personally, have been persuaded. If you have too then make sure to head to their website and buy tickets quickly as there is a sell-out warning.

Wicked, 23rd of Jan - 25th of Feb at the Bristol Hippodrome
This one goes out to all my fellow musical theatre lovers out there. I see you. Based on the acclaimed novel by Gregory Maguire, Wicked tells the story of two unlikely friends turned
rivals, Glinda the Good and the Wicked Witch of the West. With matinee and evening performances to choose from, why not treat yourself to the full theatre experience at the beautiful Hippodrome this February. The West-End hit is coming to Bristol as part of its 2024 UK Tour.

Babatunde Aleshe: Babahood, 25th Feb at Tobacco Factory Theatres
You may know him from his successful acting career, Celebrity Gogglebox, or maybe you only heard of Babatunde Aleshe from his appearance on 2023’s I’m a Celeb. Whichever way you heard of him, there is no denying his genius as a comedian. The power-house performer discusses family and fatherhood in this highly reviewed stand-up set, part of his UK Tour.

Literature

Poetry for the Many, 6th Feb, Lantern Hall at The Bristol Beacon
A night of readings, performances and discussions featuring former Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn and trade unionist Len McCluskey, along with other guest speakers. The two will share poems from their new co-edited anthology ‘Poetry for the Many’, discussing the new book and the importance of democratising poetry in conversation with Bristol City Poet Kat Lyons. Make sure to book tickets here; the event is nearly sold out! Doors are at 7:00pm.

Write On! Open Mic, 16th Feb at Waterstones Broadmead
Experienced performers, open-mic virgins and those who simply wish to spectate are all welcome at this valentines themed evening, ‘whether you feel or fear the seasonal romance’. Poems, short stories and ideas are all invited to be shared; details on how to sign yourself up can be found on the website here. The event starts at 7:00pm.

Exhibitions

Five Acts by Young In Hong, 3rd-5th of February at 133 Cumberland Road Spike Island
This is a new commission by Spike Island studio holder Young In Hong who explores lesser known histories through photographic archives. This exhibition focuses on the history of women’s labour in Korea, an area of history that is often untaught, and as such the artwork will be largely educational. Central to the commission is an embroidered tapestry depicting women workers’ protests in the 20th century to present day. The event will be open for 3 days from 12:00am-5:00pm.

These Mad Hybrids: John Hoyland and Contemporary Sculpture, 3rd of Feb - 12th of May at the Royal Academy of West England
At the conveniently located RWE Academy, this is a showcase of the weird and wonderful. Appreciate ceramic sculptures and paintings by abstract painter John Hoyland RA, in dialogue with other contemporary artists. Also, an added bonus is that this event is free for students, but make sure to take student ID. The exhibition will be open from 10:00am-5:00pm.

Available Light: A collection of Photography by Anna Wetz, 8th-28th of Feb at The Mount Without
If you enjoy print work, this photography exhibition is for you. Showcasing the first collection of print work by Bristol based photographer Anna Wetz, this artwork looks at both urban and natural landscapes in classic but also reinvented ways. From the 8th to the 28th the exhibition will be open from 5pm until late, and the address is as follows: The Crypt, The Mount Without, Upper Church Lane, St Michael’s Hill.

Concealed/Reveal: Disabled, D/deaf and Neurodivergent Artists Driving Creativity. Throughout February at Bristol Museum and Art Gallery
This exhibition at Bristol Museum & Art Gallery tells the hidden stories, and challenges assumptions on disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse experiences in museums and galleries. This important exhibition is not limited to February; it has been running since September last year and will be on until April 2024, so there is ample opportunity to experience it for yourself. Open from 10:00am-5:00pm, this event is free entry and there is no need to book.

Know of any more events happening in the next month that we haven't featured? Want us to? Drop us a message on our Instagram (@/epigramarts_) and we can let our following know about it.