Christopher Walken destroys Banksy artwork in BBC series

The stunt was part of the storyline for BBC comedy show The Outlaws.

By Roya Shahidi, Co-Deputy News Editor

Hollywood actor Christopher Walken deliberately destroyed an original Banksy in the latest episode of BBC TV series The Outlaws.

The series features seven lawbreaking strangers who have to complete community payback service.

Banksy Rat on the set of The Outlaws / BBC/Big Talk/Four Eyes

Bristol street artist Banksy painted one of his signature rats on set for the finale of the show. It was then destroyed by Christopher Walken who plays the character Frank.

In the final episode, Frank paints over the street art to complete his community service.

A spokesperson for the show commented: ‘We can confirm that the artwork at the end of The Outlaws was an original Banksy, and that Christopher Walken painted over that artwork during the filming of this scene, ultimately destroying it.’

Speaking in a video posted to his Twitter account, Bristol-born writer and director of The Outlaws Stephen Merchant stated:

‘I made contact with Banksy and asked if he would graffiti something on our set, which we would then paint over so that it would only exist in the TV show itself.

Growing frustration at Bristol Uni's decision to change location of graduation ceremonies
Banksy mural appears in Bristol overnight

‘He said yes ... and the next thing I know [he has] stencilled a rat without anybody noticing onto our set.’

He then explained that the artwork was kept hidden from the cast and crew until the day of filming.

Banksy artworks are highly valuable, with his renowned shredded Love In The Bin selling for £16 million at auction last month.

Featured Image: BBC/Big Talk/Four Eyes/PA Wire

Have you been watching The Outlaws?