Autumn/Winter style trends for 2019

Flexible fashion defines this season. But which direction will you take? Here’s our edit on this year’s AW19.

By Manon William, Second Year Liberal Arts

The Croft Magazine // Flexible fashion defines this season. But which direction will you take? Here’s our edit on this year’s AW19.

As the summer season comes to a close, everyone needs an outfit change – as represented by the catwalk collections of London, Paris, New York and Milan in this Autumn/Winter season of 2019, and soon to be reflected in high street stores’ newest collections. An array of colours, materials and textures were displayed at every show!

Minimalism exhibited its name through simple, tailored suits and luxurious leather, whilst the opposing maximalist style made its mark through feathers, fluff and colour blocking. Lively, oversized gowns created a category of their own in an unapologetically boisterous manner.

Call for colour

Regardless of the outfit you’re wearing, the colours determine the mood and ambience. Think fuchsia. Emerald green. Sapphire blue. Ruby red. Embrace them, shout them louder than ever this season, just as Armani did by repeatedly piling red upon red.

Emporio Armani Fall 2019 'Ready to Wear Collection' | Vogue | Daniele Oberrauch / Gorunway.com

But as the shorter days become colder and darker, a call for a particular colour was evident on this season’s catwalks – yolk yellow. This Fendi piece understands our desperation to cling onto the brilliance of the summer’s sun, by pairing this colour with a long, waterproof raincoat; Persuading audiences to believe in the harmony of practicality and boldness.

‘Boring’ Beige

Although beige might seem dull at first glance, it is ideal for days when you don’t feel like screaming for attention- conveying both comfort and sophistication. Stella McCartney’s asymmetric knit skirt for example, exhibits a sort of cozy elegance. Deconstructed knitwear in off-white tones was also featured by Burberry this season.

A trend colour which can be easily followed on the highstreet with H&M's warm colour pallets.

Power puff girls

Satin Puff Sleeve Mini Dress | Jonathan Simkhai 

Delicately entering the autumn and winter months are inflated shoulders, reminiscent of 1980s power dressing. An iconic retro-inspired outfit can be such fun, evident in Jonathan Simkhai’s creation- combining smooth silk, pastel pink, mini buttons. How exciting!

However, I’ve found an affordable alternative in this chocolate brown, puff sleeve, wet-look top from Zara. The colour is autumnal and the crinkled effect provides an interesting texture.

https://static.zara.net/photos/mkt/spots/aw19-north-views-woman/layout-desktop/look3-look3.st.jpg?ts=1567426872182
Wrinkle-Effect Shirt in Brown | Zara 

Fast fashion is one of the world’s biggest polluters and so environmental issues are being discussed now more than ever. Fortunately, projects like Zara’s Organic Cotton Accelerator encourage CO2 emission reductions and help preserve biodiversity to ensure that the organic cotton sector grows in a sustainable way that benefits everyone—from farmer to consumer.

Image 1 of VOLUMINOUS DENIM JUMPSUIT from Zara
Voluminous Denim Jumpsuit in Blue | Zara

This puff sleeve voluminous denim playsuit is part of this project, made of 100% ecologically grown cotton. This is a more casual way to wear the romantic, exaggerated detail of the puffs and an example of how to incorporate the season’s trends into your everyday style.

Fluttery Feathers

Decorating the runways themselves were fallen feathers from adorned necklines and hems. Peter Pilotto opted for simple outlines of coats whereas Michael Kors showcased voluminous feather boas. Feathers of course ensure a fun addition to an outfit but equally can be beautiful and elegant.

Some key trends to keeep an eye on this Autumn/Winter as inspired by the catwalk, we can spruce up our student style.

Featured: Vogue / Phil Oh