Bristol grad receives OBE for helping children in deprived areas of India

Dr Cat Morris, who runs an NGO called Love the One, has received an OBE for her work helping children in poverty in India.

By Roya Shahidi, Co-Deputy News Editor

Dr Cat Morris runs an NGO called Love the One which has changed the lives of thousands of children in India.

Dr Cat Morris, a University of Bristol medicine graduate, has received an OBE for services to Healthcare and Child Welfare in India.

Following her time at Bristol University, she took a Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene at the University of Liverpool, where she met Dr Mary Cusack, who she works with in India to this day.

Together they spent five years working for NGOs in some of India’s most deprived areas. In 2012, Dr Morris and Dr Cusack set up their own NGO, Love the One, which provides healthcare, childcare and education to Odisha.

Dr Cat Morris (right) with Dr Mary Cusack and one of the children their NGO looks after in Odisha, India.

Dr Morris commented: ‘After five years in India we had seen the good, the bad and the ugly. We also knew the stats, such as that half of Indian children are abused, and that a third of the world’s poorest children are in India.

‘We wanted our NGO to focus not just on health, but on education and childcare too – to provide the full package so children can thrive.’

After the devastating impact of the second wave of Covid-19, the work carried out by the NGO became even more crucial. They distributed education packages, mobile phones for online learning and more than 4 million meals.

Professor Sarah Purdy, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Student Experience, said: ‘It is always hugely heart-warming to see Bristol graduates using the skills they learnt with us to do good in the world.’

‘Dr Cat Morris’ life-changing work is inspiring and uplifting, and I can think of no better person to receive an OBE.’

Featured Image: Love the One