Review: Kasabian @ the O2 Academy

Since their debut album in 2004, household name Kasabian have killed sold-out shows up and down the UK. Therefore, one would have been foolish to think that the Leicester-based band would have done anything different at their Bristol gig at the O2 Academy.

By Joseph Morrison, Third Year Philosophy and Theology

Whilst selling out a 17-date tour within hours of release would’ve been impressive for anyone, the intimate venue tour seemed a step down for the band who are used to selling out arenas and headlining major festivals such as TRNSMT and Glastonbury Festival. However, with their last album being released in 2017 and last performances before the tour being pre-covid ones, the tour seems to be a platform for the band to propel themselves into post-Tom Meighan life, who was dismissed from the band in July 2020.

With the night starting with an indie DJ set and London-based Skinner Brothers, the energy was high for Kasabian to appear at 9pm. It is worth noting that the Skinner Brothers were particularly impressive, setting the energy high for Kasabian and knowing exactly what was needed of them for a supporting act. Songs such as “Away Days” got a good reception from the crowd and, I’m sure, resonated a lot with the audience.

Kasabian opened with the 2004 classic “Club-Foot”, with promoted frontman Sergio Pizzorno riding the energy of the 1,600-capacity crowd. Whilst Pizzorno isn’t a stranger to producing lead vocals, it was amazing seeing him adapt to what each song needed; whether that be playing guitar or simply owning the stage with vocals alone. It was especially prevalent in the closing song “Fire” in which Pizzorno got the whole venue bouncing during the song’s iconic chorus. The quality of performance from the new frontman got many chants of “Sergio!” going throughout the set, indicating that the band will be quite alright without the input of ex-frontman Meighan.

The best performance of the night was from the fourth song of the set, “You’re in Love with a Psycho”, in which Sergio shined as well as new touring member Robert Harvey particular impressed on backing vocals. The moment of the night, however, belonged to the crowd, who prolonged the backing vocals to penultimate song “L.S.F.” for minutes after its conclusion; a moment I’m sure all who were involved will remember for a very long time.

'I was so sweaty that nobody could tell I was crying - I think?': In conversation with Glass Animals
Bristol's Old Crown Courts announces its closure

With the conclusion of such a successful tour as their’s, it is impossible to not be excited about the band’s future. With the group already set to headline festivals, as well as support Liam Gallagher at the iconic Knebworth Park, they are set for a busy 2022. If their new single “ALYGATYR” is anything to go by, it is hard to dwell on what the band will be missing without Tom Meighan and instead concentrate on just what the new era of Kasabian are truly capable of.

Featured image: Joseph Morrison

Have you seen Kasabian in conert?