Bristol's Old Crown Courts announces its closure

After fifteen successful years, The Old Crown Courts announces it will close its doors once and for all in the new year.

By Josh Templeman, Digital Music Editor

The nightclub, which many see as one of Bristol’s most iconic venues, announced its closure via a Facebook post this evening. The news has come just days before their iconic Halloween nights, a series of exciting events that sell out every year.

Situated in a disused Victorian court complex, the venue is perhaps Bristol’s quirkiest and most eccentric venue, boasting marble pillars, majestic mosaics, and high ceilings. With two grand courtrooms, world-class sound systems and even an underground cell complex, the venue’s closure will prove to be a significant loss to Bristol’s nightlife.

At the same time, the venue has announced an exciting series of closing shows.  The closing parties include events such as: ‘A History of Drum and Bass’, ‘The Last Jungle Dance’ and ‘The Final Show’, shows that will hopefully give the venue the send-off it truly deserves.

The final event held at the venue will be their annual New Year’s event, which boasts a huge line-up so far, with Congo Natty, Serial Killaz and Benny Page all set to play at the club, with more to be announced over the coming months.

Review: PinkPantheress - to hell with it
Review: Jockstrap @ The Louisiana

The announcement brings yet more disappointing news for Bristol’s nightlife. With Blue Mountain closing down last year, the ever-fragile future of Lakota and Motion being hit with noise complaint after noise complaint from new property developments, the future of the city’s nightlife remains deeply uncertain. Regardless of the future, The Old Crown Courts has been a truly special venue and will continue to hold this legacy long into the future.

Featured image: Old Crown Courts

Will you miss The Old Crown Courts?