Burst Radio has relaunched

Burst Radio is back on air, broadcasting a schedule that includes music and chat shows, bringing on the voices of the the university and surrounding city.

By Epigram News

After a year of podcasts from home, Burst Radio has returned to its studio in the Students' Union. Relaunching on Monday 11 October at 10am, after its first hourly news bulletin it welcomed listeners back with a schedule that promises to ‘inform and entertain’, broadcast live on their website from 10am to 10pm every day during term time. Starting with a morning of ‘familiar broadcasting’, the first track played was Ocean Drive by Lighthouse Family. It then slid into the new schedule, which sees the likes of Fergal Maguire, Rosa McKay and Xander Brett return.

With daily Breakfast and Hangover Brunch shows, as well as weekend Brunch shows, Burst shares material with BBC Radio Bristol. This term’s schedule also includes specialist music programmes and an hour of documentaries that has been syndicated to BCfm: a local station with a daily audience of 22,000.

Burst Radio's term schedule | Burst Radio

Speaking on its relaunch, Station Manager George Ruskin thanked outgoing chief Cissy Walmsley for keeping Burst alive during the pandemic.  ‘After an incredibly tough 18 months,’ he told us,  ‘I’m delighted Burst is back on air with more diverse programming than ever before, ensuring it remains the definitive sound of Bristol University’.

Burst has come to the attention of BBC presenters Jeremy Vine, Greg James, Scott Mills, Jo Whiley and Cerys Matthews to name but a few. Radio legends Johnnie and Tiggy Walker, who now present on BBC Radio 2, as well as former Burst presenters Chris Cox and Danny Robins, who tour the world and host shows for BBC Radio 4, are all going on the station in the coming weeks to discuss their time in Bristol. Local bands (including The Wurzels of Combine Harvester fame) will be in conversation. In the wake of a visual and audio relaunch, they – and many more behind the scenes – are working to ensure Burst remains the definitive sound of Bristol University for years to come.

Featured Image: Burst Radio

Tune in to Burst Radio every day from 10am to 10pm during term time.