How to wear Pantone's colours of the year 2021

The Croft Magazine // Style Sub-editor, Olivia Andrews discusses Pantone's choice of colour for 2021 and how to wear them this year.

By Olivia Andrews, Style Sub-editor

The Croft Magazine // Style Sub-editor, Olivia Andrews discusses Pantone's choice of colour for 2021, and how to wear them this year.

I think the only constant we can predict this year will be the copious amounts of tea we will drink as a nation. However, Pantone has, arguably slightly prematurely predicted the colours of the year; Ultimate Grey and Illuminating.

A post shared by PANTONE (@pantone)

This selection might seem like an antithetical choice; one synonymous with the glory of the beaming sun, dearly missed in these wintery lockdown days. And grey, reinforcing the pathetic fallacy of the gloomy weather - not to mention the same colour as the pair of trackies we’ve been wearing for the third day in a row.

Vogue has even gone so far as to downright claim that the colour prediction is “really weird” and is “rather tone-deaf and half-hearted”. It seems the less than gallant efforts to cheer the globe through colour seems to have fallen short with the fashion powerhouse.

Equally baffling to Twitter, the combination has triggered an eruption of memes mocking the unexpected decision. Some users highlighted the most familiar and recognisable display of this pairing seen on high-vis jackets and the road.

However, Pantone seems to have optimistic reasoning for their potentially unexpected colour combination.

Pantone claims that ultimate grey and illuminating yellow “come together to support one another”, which is undoubtedly needed more than ever this year. The yellow stands to signify “a message of happiness supported by fortitude” and the grey “is emblematic of solid and dependable elements which are everlasting and provide a firm foundation”. This combination therefore seems to echo what our society is currently searching for; hope and optimism paired with strength and resilience.

Although, another Vogue article questioned whether the runways predicted Pantone's choice, displaying images of previous fashion show collections, from the likes of Bottega Veneta, Raf Simons, Lou Dallas by Raffaella, Dion Lee and Balmain, all combining these hues.

A post shared by Raf Simons Official (@rafsimons)

The garments might be how the colours of the year will materialise on the high street (or if we’re still in lockdown, in our homes and maybe social media, if we think we look nice enough).

We may not all be able to splurge on these designer brands on our student budget, so here are some more affordable options.

If you’re dreaming of a summer in the sun, then bagging this little shirtdress whilst it’s in the sale might be for you.

Vero Moda mini shirt dress in yellow, £8.10 | ASOS

Or, this longer, ultimate yellow number, as maxi dresses have taken the Spring/Summer catwalk by storm.

ASOS DESIGN lace insert bias maxi dress with ruched bust, £19 | ASOS

If you are looking to replace such previously mentioned trackies then, Topshop offers these wide-leg pair, with a comfortable elastic waist, they’re perfect for lockdown lounging.

Light grey flannel relaxed trousers, £32.19 | Topshop

This beautifully frilly shirt could ruffle up the glorious summer atmosphere. The Peter-pan collar would go down well with equally fashion-loving friends.

Sheer ruffled shirt, £65 | & Other Stories

Urban Outfitters also have these smart grey trousers, for when you want to feel professional and preppy. Pair these with a corset top and oversized blazer for a more stylish but sexy look.

UO Kennedy trousers, £55 | Urban Outfitters

This boxy, yellow shirt is super cute, paired either with denim shorts, or even mom jeans for a relaxed look. Oversized shirts are also set to make a comeback this season, so the bigger the better.

Notched collar shirt, £25 | Monki

Or to bring some more glamour into your life, this sparkly mesh top from Fashion Union is an affordable option to wear to a your-house-only lockdown shindig. As in the words of Vogue “let the living room disco commence”.

Fashion Union high neck top in sheer knit, £24 | ASOS

Will you be sporting Pantone's choice of colours for 2021?

What to wear this winter

How to shop sustainably on a student budget

Featured image: Epigram/Morgan Collins

Check out The Croft Magazine on Instagram for some more stylish content!