University offers in-person ceremony to graduates ‘when it is safe to do so’ – plus virtual celebrations

The University have offered those graduating this year the opportunity to return to Bristol for a ceremony ‘at a future date when it is safe to do so’.

By Teddy Coward, Co-Editor in Chief

The University have offered those graduating this year the opportunity to return to Bristol for a ceremony ‘at a future date when it is safe to do so’ – and virtual graduation celebrations in July.

In a message to students graduating, Pro Vice-Chancellor Sarah Purdy said: ‘The reality of how this term and academic year has ended is not what you will have wanted or expected’.

‘We are very aware that, for you, the Class of 2020, the celebrations with friends, course mates and staff will have a very different feel.

‘This is not the way we wanted your time with us to end, and we know how important our graduation ceremonies are to give you a chance to celebrate your achievements with your supporters.

‘We promise you that we will offer that opportunity to graduate in person here in Bristol at a future date when it is safe to do so but for now.’

Whilst no definite plans as to when in-person ceremonies will occur, the University expects them to take place in 2021.

Bristol University delay summer graduations
'We're all really eager to help out': final year medical students likely to be working as doctors before the end of the month

In the meantime, virtual graduation celebrations will commence in July.

These will be carried out by individual faculties with the dates as followed:

• Friday 17 July, 10 am – 11 am - Health Sciences
  • Monday 20 July, 10 am – 11 am – Social Sciences and Law
  • Friday 24 July, 10 am – 11 am – Arts
  • Tuesday 28 July, 10 am – 11 am - Life Sciences
  • Wednesday 29 July, 10 am – 11 am - Engineering
  • Thursday 30 July, 10 am – 11 am - Science

More information regarding the ceremonies can be found here.

So far, the only virtual graduation ceremonies to have been carried out are those for Veterinary Surgeons and Veterinary Nurses, which enabled them to become keyworkers.

Medical students who qualified early, to also join the frontline, are also being invited back to an in-person graduation event.

Featured Image:Unsplash

What do you think of virtual graduation ceremonies? Let us know in the comments!