Council confirms Lakota to close and be converted into offices and flats

Bristol nightclub, Lakota, is to be closed and converted into office and flats, it has been confirmed today.

By Robin Connolly, Features Editor

Bristol nightclub, Lakota, is to be closed and converted into offices and flats, it has been confirmed today.

The decision was made by Bristol City Council's Development Control Committee over the video-call platform, Zoom.

The call was streamed live on YouTube at 2.00pm this afternoon. The meeting had been due to take place on 18 March but was postponed because of the outbreak of COVID-19.

| Lakota offers its premises to Bristolians in need

The council voted with six in favour, three against and one abstention.

The club is expected to be converted into a mixed development which will include the erection of a four-storey building and 46 residential units.

There has been significant objection to the closing of the nightclub from members of the public since October 2018, including a Change.org petition which received over 7,000 signatures.

| Lakota's end in sight as owners seek new opportunities

During the proceeding of the Council meeting, Councillor Harriet Bradley stated that ‘Lakota is an internationally renowned venue, and I think the loss of it is just tragic.’

She went on to say that ‘to me, this is a generational thing – I think this is old people wanting something nice and tidy and young people wanting the exciting venue which is Lakota.’

The club first opened 1989 and has since became nationally renowned throughout the nineties, with headliners such as Carl Cox and Judge Jules playing at the venue.

Featured image: Flikr / shrinkin' violet

What are your thoughts on the redevelopment of Lakota?