Lakota's end in sight as owners seek new opportunities

The owners of the popular nightclub have announced that they are 'to explore new opportunities for the site.'

By James Cleaver, Online News Editor

It has been a mainstay of Bristol’s nightlife since the 1980s, but the end appears to be nearing for Lakota after its owners announced their intention ‘to explore new opportunities for the site.’

In a statement, the Burgess family, who both own and run the club said: 'We’ve been part of the city’s club scene, and the St Paul’s and Stokes Croft community, since the early 80’s and with so many years of running clubs and pubs in the area amassed we’ve decided that it’s the right time for us to explore new opportunities for our site on the corner of Upper York St and Moon St.

'We’re reviewing how best we can continue to support the neighbourhood that we’ve been part of for over 30 years'

'Working with community networks, residents and local business, we’re reviewing how best we can continue to support the neighbourhood that we’ve been part of for over 30 years and this includes looking at proposals to convert it into a mixed-use site, which will include residential accommodation as well as some business space. Our plans will take time to develop. So, it’s very much business as usual for the next few years as Lakota will continue working with promoters to offer a range of club nights and events in the way it has always done.'

'It's very much business as usual for the next few years'

Unsurprisingly, the announcement has already led to a petition addressed to Bristol City Council, asking them and the Burgess family ‘to consider other ways the club could survive.’ While Lakota’s future function has yet to be finalised, the Stokes Croft area around it is already undergoing large-scale change. Westmoreland House is scheduled for demolition while the Carriage Works are being converted into housing. Block C of Hamilton House has already been sold off for development, and last month protestors gathered to try to save the community centre amid rising rents and an uncertain future.

The news comes after an increasing number of clubs have come under threat in recent years, in Bristol and the UK as a whole. Last year, it was reported that both Thekla and The Fleece were under threat of closure, sparking campaigns for their survival. Almost half of the UK’s nightclubs have shut down in the past decade alone.

Featured image: shrinkin'violet / Flickr