Marie Kondo eat your heart out: How to organise your wardrobe like a pro

With the majority of people at home currently and looking for ways to keep productive, what better activity than having a good old wardrobe clear out. Here are some guidelines to make the process uber effective

By Morgan Collins, French and Spanish First Year

The Croft Magazine // With the majority of people at home currently and looking for ways to keep productive, what better activity than having a good old wardrobe clear out. Here are some guidelines to make the process uber effective.  

Empty.

The prospect of emptying everything out of your wardrobes might seem unnecessary and a colossal waste of time, but this step is perhaps the most essential of all. In order to fully survey the clothes you own you need to remove it all and begin sorting.

Epigram / Morgan Collins 

Divide and Conquer

Now that all of your clothes are out of the closet you can begin to sort. I recommend putting things into 5 piles. The first pile is for things to go back in your wardrobe, the second is for clothes you love but are inappropriate for the season e.g. winter coats and chunky knits – to be put in storage. The third pile is for clothes in good condition to sell on and then the fourth is your pile for donations. The fifth pile is things to up-cycling e.g. clothes that need mending or trousers you want to turn into shorts, shoes to re-dye etc.

Spring Fashion Forecast: The top to watch in 2020

Colour Co-ordinate

Colour coordination is key to an organised wardrobe and now that you have a concrete idea of what is to go back in your wardrobe you can get to colour coding it. This will give you ease when getting ready in the morning as you will know exactly what colour you want to pair things with, not to mention making your wardrobe totally Instagramable!

Up Your Shoe Game  

Now that your wardrobe looks totally chic, you need to think about what to do with your shoes. I keep all of my shoes at the bottom of my wardrobe in their boxes, but if you have the space putting shoes on display or in clear boxes is a modern way to arrange them, not to mention easier to access. Play around with your shoes and see what works best for you.

If you’re still in need of further wardrobe inspiration check out people like Anine Bing if you like minimalistic style (@aninebing on Instagram). Trinny Woodall, who has an amazingly eclectic wardrobe and has a running series where she talks you through her closet (@trinnywoodall on Instagram), and Kryz Uy who has done the most enviable closet tour on YouTube .  

Get organising!

Featured: Epigram / Morgan Collins

Find The Croft Magazine inside every copy of Epigram Newspaper